The Gesture CHOP records a short segment of the first input and loops this segment in time with options as specified in the Gesture Page. The second input defines the "listen" input. The third input is used to reset the gesture.
gestureCapture component in the palette is much more powerful and flexible to capture and record channels, and has full UI.
In the Gesture CHOP, when the first channel of the listen input goes above zero, the Gesture CHOP begins recording the first input's channels. While listen is on, the input channels are output exactly as is. When the listen is turned off, the recorded segment of the channels is processed (trimmed and blended). While listen is off, the recorded segment is looped continuously.
The Gesture CHOP determines the number of beats that the listen was on for; this defines the period of the loop. If the beat frequency changes, the period will change with it.
If "Fit to Nearest Cycle" is Off, the beats are ignored and the gesture length is exactly the time it took to record - the recorded segment will be looped back with a period equal to the recorded length. When On, the captured gesture will be extended or trimmed to be a multiple of the beats per cycle.
Play Mode - controls the gesture playback.
- Locked to Timeline - This mode locks the gesture position to the Timeline.
- Sequential - This mode continually plays the gesture regardless of the timeline position. Reset and Reset Condition parameters below are enabled to allow some control.
Fit to Nearest Cycle - When on the captured gesture will be extended or trimmed to be a multiple of the Beats Per Cycle.
Beats Per Cycle
/numbeats - Specifies the number of beats to cycle the recorded animation around. If the recorded animation is longer than a multiple of the Beats Per Cycle, it will loop at that multiplied length.
Step Output - If on, the cycled animation will increase in value each cycle length. Useful if you want to cycle animation but at the same time have the cycle drifting off of it original values.
Step Reset - When On and you re-record a gesture, the step will be zeroed.
/blend - How much of the recorded segment to use as a blend region. The blend region is used to blend the beginning of the segment to the end so that a seemless loop is produced.
Interpolate Samples - If on, recorded samples are interpolated when scaling occurs, otherwise the nearest sample is selected.
/speed - Scales the rate of playback for the segment.
/reset - Resets the gesture in Sequential Play Mode.
Reset Condition - This menu determines how the Reset input (the third input) triggers a reset of the channel(s).
- Off to On - channels are reset when the Reset input goes off to on.
- While On - channels are reset when the Reset input goes on. The channel will hold the reset value until the input turns off.
- On to Off - channels are reset when the Reset input goes on to off.
- While Off - channels are reset when the Reset input goes off. The channel will hold the reset value until the input turns on.
Standard Options and Local Variables