APPLICATIONS
DOWNLOADS
EDUCATION
BLOG
WIKI
FORUM
STORE

UV Unwrapped Rendering

Helpful techniques for working with TouchDesigner. Answers only, no questions.

Re: UV Unwrapped Rendering

Postby Achim » Wed May 01, 2019 3:57 am

In the Render top

Cologne area TD artists? Let’s get in touch

Achim

Postby why » Wed May 29, 2019 2:06 am

bwheaton wrote:The question here is to render 'unwrapped' so that you can manipulate then rewrap onto your shape and use that for a projector setup.

This is the part I'm still a bit unclear about, and after looking and tweaking the examples posted here and the RFE thread, i'm still not sure I see the advantages of this method or why/when you would use it. Why can't you manipulate the texture/material without unwrapping it?

I think I understand that it's useful for LED screen setups that aren't a standard flat rectangular screen, so it can help with mapping content on there, but I'm not understanding the workflow. Maybe it's hard to imagine when i don't have the actual physical output to see the differences.

If anyone has spare time, could they update this to use TD's built-in UV Unwrap render mode, and then if possible, show the differences between using this method vs not using it?

Cheers
why

Postby bwheaton » Wed May 29, 2019 10:28 am

In short, it turns a render into a texture. So you can paint and light an object, then render it unwrapped. From there, you can place it back on a flat shaded model to project it from multiple angles.

You can do something similar with other texture modes, but they won’t have the pixel density you want.

The key is that projection mapping (or a crazy shape LED) is a two part process - a render of effects, maybe from a viewer position, and a second pass for display. This method gives you the best potential quality in between those two steps.

Bruce
bwheaton

Previous

Return to Techniques