Luminosity

Awesome, thanks, I didn’t see that.

I mean if we add our own effects and such, what do we need to do to make sure that their nodes stop cooking/running when we’re not using them in a performance? For example, I replaced the default scene with my own component that’s a bit heavy, and I’m paranoid that it’s still cooking while I’m not actually using its scene clip on a channel.

That depends on your network, but I’ve implemented an ‘Active’ attribute for that exact reason.

For most things if you simply aren’t viewing (or routing) them they won’t cook in TD, but if your not viewing something just because a level is down doesn’t mean it won’t cook. There must be a hard switch for it not to cook. There are some ops though that cook no matter what unless you bypass them and if other ops are connected downstream they will cook also such as timerCHOP, keyframeCHOP (when set to sequential or locked to timeine),renderTOP etc…

This is where I use the Active property in the in the inherited Plugin extension on all Luminosity plugins. If you build an effect or generator all plugins get deactivated when they are either off (effect) or not playing (gen) - that doesn’t mean your custom plugin won’t cook though, you still need to use the Active property to toggle whatever you want off. I think the Feedback effect uses Active as well as a few other plugins if you would like an example. A scene isn’t quite as straightforward since it’s a bit ambiguous whether it is being selected or viewed (there is no insert on/off button or trigger/select functionality like effects and gens) so if you want to deactivate your scene 100% while it is still selected within LMs routing system you should have an Active parameter setup in it’s controls to disable or enable it’s state.

Hope this clarifies things.

Thank you Keith, this is incredible!

I’d like to use this on an upcoming show where I’ll be triggering other devices automatically using DMX at certain points within a single video clip. Is this possible?

If there isn’t a system in place, I was thinking I could build a generator plugin that plays back a movie file and has timers to fire DMX.

Thanks again,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Glad you’ll be able to use LM for some your projects.

You could make a generator to trigger DMX channels/values, should be pretty straightforward. It will still need at TOP output but it could just be a constant texture.

There are a couple of other alternatives:

• Build a scene and use the presets of the scene controls to recall different settings - there is a also a callbacks system in the presets component you can use to for custom stuff.

• Simply build a component somewhere then use the CuePlayer and it’s callback DAT to recall various states in your component.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info Keith, I’ll look into these options and find one that works for us!

Great, thanks. I’ll have to do some homework and look into the active attribute.

I’ve noticed that midi mapping doesn’t work for turning effects on and off, or for selecting channels (I’m using selected mode). Is this some type of bug that there’s a workaround for? If not, where is the mechanism that toggles effects located so I can tap into it and map it myself? I’m starting to understand the geography of the network but I couldn’t find it.

To describe what I’m seeing, in Midi Mapper Mode, the effects slots have one map option for all 6 names, and one for all 6 toggles, I’ve tried both on both knobs and buttons and the map options don’t seem to change anything.

How do I change the project window size?

Hello, will you have any old version of this project to share?
the one on github doesn’t open anymore, it gives an error.
I wish I could give it life, since it was a great interface, thanks

1 Like

Hey Keith! I love Luminosity! I’m still using it but was wondering if you had plans for updating it? Will you still be making a Patreon to support the continued efforts of this program?

@Flowtricks I’ve been involved in few different projects so haven’t had much time to keep up with Luminosity.

There is a branch here that works in the current version of TD decently. It setup for a particular project so you likely need to reconfigure the outputs.

Hi Keith,

First of all, congratulations for your work, it is extraordinary.
Sorry i don’t know much about it,
but I wanted to ask you if it was possible to change the resolutions of the displace and fluid effects to possibly avoid this kind of pixelation

PS : I specify that I have a commercial version

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me

Good day to you

Simon

Hi Simon Thanks! Glad you are making use of it.

Yeah I think for the both those effects there are some hard coded parameters setting the resolution. There are a few options:

• change the effect component on disk (you’ll need to find where the resolution needs to be set - likely in a constant top connected to a feedbackTOP) this will change the resolution for all instances loaded whenever you load them
  • change the loaded comp - I think you can open it’s location in the network via a right click context login menu and then do the same as above. In this case it will only change the resolution of the currently loaded effect.
  • final and best way would be to simply update the effect (on disk) so you can either change the res in the interface or by it’s input. (I think there are some cooking issues with using the input to change the res i.e. a bunch of stuff cooks every frame that doesn’t really need to - I really care about performance and usually would just change those comps manually as needed.

Hope this helps. I think the second video on YouTube gives a rundown on how to make a new or edit an effect without issue.

cheers
Keith

Thank you very much Keith for your quick response
so I looked in the effect component on the disc but I can’t find a constant top module connected to a top feedback.

I was able to change the resolution from selected1 to 4k in
Luminosity / database / channels / clipChannels / channel0 / effects / slot0

but I still have a pixelation problem on the displace effect

I also looked in the system part of the effect but I can’t find the resolution in the code.

Would it be possible to tell me the path to change the resolution in the hard code or to tell me where I can find the constant top module connected to a top feedback so that I can modify it

A big thank you to you
have a very nice day

Hi Keith,

big thanks for sharing this powerful tool with us. Having a lot of fun with it when playing with it. With 2018.27550 most things are running really smooth.

Do you have any plans to update the tool to the latest TD version?
I wasn’t really able to get it running including the mapper/previs section which is a great tool for itself.

I’m trying to read into the structure but for now it’s quite hard for me to repair and tune the tool. Will keep digging and watch the tutorial again, especially the part about the structure, how things are storend and handled. Plus it will require me to get more into Python to play and tune this beast.

Happy to support further development in any required way!
If someone is interrested and able to fix the bugs in the latest version I can play around and list issues, test versions or such. Please let me know how I can help.

All the best
Sven

Hi Keith,

there is one thing I’ve just figured out in 2020.23680…

When I start go to Setup > View Previs the model is shown as expected but when I click into the window the camera setting is getting screwed and therefore everything become black.

I thought the mapper is not working when starting luminosity in TD 2020, but it’s cool that its working in principle but the mouse readout is causing crazy moves.

• It’s possible to reset the parameters line by line to see the original view again. Every parameter works but as soon as I use the mouse in the window it’s jumping to these odd values again.
  • When I recreate a working camera view just using the mouse this is working ok the mouse feature is working but as soon as I edit one value with the GUI the mouse become unpredictable again.

Any ideas where this can be fixed?

Will keep testing in 2020 now that the mapper is basically working.

Best regards
Sven

Keith. What kind of superhero you are?

Huge thanks at this one! :smile:

Put this one in next week to work with.

Hi @stevok apologies I completely missed your questions. I’ll take a look and see if I can figure out what is happening.

Hi,
This is an awesome project.
Does this need a TD pro license to work? Which version is currently supported?
(from above) how do I change the display layout to fit on an HD monitor? Can’t seem to add more channels in any version.
Will you be updating it? Sorry so many questions. Thank you…
I found this…searching to not have to reinvent the wheel. After going through tutorials on building media pools, clip launchers etc…Please keep this going. Building an aux/effects plugin system is beyond me atm. Be well!

Hi @Chalice Happy to hear you found Luminosity.

You can use it with any version of TD but you’ll be limited by the TD license limitations.

Unfortunately I partially hard-coded the UI to be 1920x1080 when I built it. It can be changed if a person were to go into the various UI elements and modify them, but it would definitely require some effort… The reason I partially hard-coded it was at the time dynamic UI’s using expressions were super slow and would kill performance but now that pars are cached a lot of that can change. For many things like plugin controls panels they get built procedurally by an init function.

Unfortunately a serious refactor of LM is not overly practical for me atm… I really haven’t had much time to update it recently. I did just load it using the newest official TD build and noticed drag and drop of generators and clips is broken and a few other small issues. I’ll try and take some time in the next week or two to look into them.

All that being said if anyone wants to take the time to dig into a serious overhaul and refactor I would be happy to provide some help on how things currently work and what would need to change to in order fix or refactor various aspects.

3 Likes

@keithlostracco Those 2021 drag-drop changes must have a few things out of place still, if you can narrow them down we’ll get on them immediately.

1 Like