Philips Hue

Oh interesting, do you have a sample TD project to post that implements this? I totally want to control my lights at home from TD and I have a mix of Hue, Artnet, and sACN stuff

you have the info in the previous picture :smiley:

old thread here, but some new tricks.

I’ve been working with zoe sandoval to add extensions and make a more modular approach for this puppy. Took a moment to clean-up the documentation as well, so there’s at least a little get you started.

If you’re interested, you can take a look:

github.com/raganmd/touchdesigner-hueControl

1 Like

Hello @raganmd I tried few times your files in 2 different computer, and get always same problem trying to connect to my bridge with 192.168.2.4 ip

And i have library installed and everything in the place… becasue my old files still working

any idea?? :open_mouth:

Regards
Javo

Ahhh - I think I need to update some of the documentation.

First, make sure that you’re starting with a toe file you’ve already saved to a location on your computer. Next use the TOX from the directory called “release”. When you drop that TOX into your project it should do a little house keeping and run some python scripts.

Next, are you pressing the button on your hue bridge before you pulse the “Set-up Individual Lights” parameter? That’s the bit that should handshake with the hue and make sure you’re able to retrieve the dictionary of lights.

Thanks! now it works.

:smiley:

Glad to hear it’s working!

Hi,

I want to use this Hue node for one of my project, but when I import the TOX, I have an error and I don’t know how to fix that. Can someone helps me ?

Thanks,

Hi MFagniard,

Matthew here - what version of the tox are you using?

Hi @raganmd,

Sorry for the latish reply.

I’m using the TOX in the release folder. I don’t have any error when i’m importing the TOX.
I’m entering the IP adress and pressing the button of the Hue bridge, and the error appears when I’m pressing the set up individual lights parameter.

Thanks

Can you post the error message from the text port?

Hi @raganmd,

That’s the error.

Thanks

hey MFagniard - I’ve been wracking my brain trying to figure out what was going on here, and I think it’s actually the build you’re using.

Looks like you’re still on 2017.16620. Can you try updating your Touch build to see if that makes a difference?

Hi @raganmd,

I’m having some problems connecting the tox to my bridge too. Here are the text port errors I am getting:

I have followed everything methodically (use a saved toe file and use the tox in the release folder, etc.) and am able to control the lights from my computer with code, but am having several problems getting it to work in TD.

Hope you can help!

Thanks

Hi @charliej99 - what I can see right off the bat is that the python version for the latest TouchDesigner is 3.9 and this module hasn’t been updated since the change from Python 3.7. I should be able to look at this during the week and see if I can get an update pushed to github.

1 Like

Ah okay, thank you! That would be amazing if you could give it an update!

Hi @charliej99 - I just pushed some updates. You will need to download the tox from the release folder again, but you should now be able to run this in the latest Version of TouchDesigner without issue.

You will need a stand alone version of Python 3.9 installed, but otherwise should be good to go.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Matt! I really appreciate you updating it this quickly!! Works great

1 Like

Hi Matt,

how can i achieve a transition between colors?

For Example i have constant TOP where the colorr colorg colorb are changing constantly.

If i use a script which then pulses the UpdateAll Button the frame rate goes down and i get time out errors from the IP.

I have two hue play lightbars they react kinda ok and i have one Lightstrip which is sometimes reacting and then not, all connected to the same bridge.

Is there a better way to submit color changes in a short time without using the updateall button via script? I think it is triggered several times in a second.

thank you

TD Hue Control Updates

Since first making this component I’ve fielded a good set of questions about working with a third party library, and the hassles that come along with that in TouchDesigner. So, to help resolve those issues I’ve recently re-written this TOX to instead use the requests library that ships with Touch. That means that this is now a truly drag and drop tox that you can add to your network without needed any extra python libraries for this to work.

Changes also now push immediately from parameters to to lights - so you can think of this as when you make a change to the custom pars, those requests for updates go to the lights right away. This does have some performance slow-downs, and on my todo list is to improve the response rate and performance for this TOX.

Hope this helps folks who are interested in controlling Hue lights from TouchDesigner.

2 Likes