sACN Implementation

I’m still very new to TouchDesigner, so excuse me if I’m missing something or this is not appropriate.

The implementation of sACN in TD seems a little wonky to me. I work professionally in lighting and I’ve never come across a controller or platfrom that treats sACN addressing with nets and subnets. The usual settings are simply Universe number (1 to 63,999, which I’m assuming gets processed down to multicast address in the software), and priority.
I think this would be a much more intuitive way for people to use it, since it matches more standard practice for other platforms.

The software generally is phenominal, by the way. Never come across something so versatile and ease to get a grip on.

Hey,

thank you very much for your input, we’ll change the addressing options for the DMX Out CHOP in an upcoming build.

Best
Markus

Great to hear! I’m still struggling a bit with TD DMX. Looking forward to seeing what you guys have in store.

It is a bit of a holdover from Art-Net, which is ironic since Art-Net uses base 0 universes and sACN Out CHOP complains if you try to send sACN Universe zero…

If it helps anyone short term, I made this handy scroll-wheel / typeable controllable DAT that allows you to do Absolute or Net Subnet Uni conversion / generic DAT construction. Just enable viewer, hold your pointer over one of the fields and scroll (or click and type) and it will update the other fields to match. Note this doesn’t account for the weird base0 base1 difference between Art-Net and sACN…

You can pipe in a CHOP with some DMX universes on the left and it will send out a CHOP with the universes (optionally) renamed and a DAT below that to be the routing DAT for the DMX Out CHOP.

Also on the left are two DAT inputs to allow you to prepend or append the DMX Routing DATs from other of these toxes or other sources.

Once I discovered that you could just delete the routing table DAT and the DMX Out CHOP would just output universes sequentially, this became a little useless, but the quick / automatic conversion from Absolute to NetSubUni is very handy when dealing with Art-Net in other places.
dmx_router.tox (21.3 KB)