compareComp - Compare Components

This compares a pair of components. It first identifies nodes that are unique to either of the two components.

Then for the nodes that exist in both components, it identifies differences in parameters, flags, input wiring, hierarchy wiring, language, tags and comments.

For nodes that are in both components, it checks the operator family and type, and reports if they are different.

It reports on DATs whose contents differ (Text, Table and the Execute DATs, and DATs that are locked).

Using “Only in Component 1” and “Only in Component 2”, it shows nodes that exist in one component but not the other.

If you turn on the parameters “Flags”, “Parameters” etc, it will compare the Flags, Parameters etc of nodes that are in both components, showing the differences in columns “value1” and “value2”.

“Wiring” reports on the input wires of nodes including components, as well as hierarchy (bottom to top) connections of 3d object components and panel components.

“Miscellaneous” look at tags, comments and mis-matched node types.

The “Cosmetics” option checks for things that don’t matter in the function of the node, like viewer state and node position in the network.

The two built-in test components illustrate the various comparisons.

The component outputs the DAT you see in the viewer.

If you turn on “Remove Unused Cols”, it will make the table simpler. For example, it will not display/output column “onlyInComp2” if the parameter “Only in Component 2” is off, etc.

I don’t know how many times I’ve wanted to know what I’ve changed between two versions of a component. This gives a good comparison.

compareComp doesn’t check everything yet - you can add what you feel is necessary within this structure. Not implemented is locked CHOPs or TOPs, and it doesn’t co-relate a node that was renamed. Nonetheless, the results are illuminating.

uploaded version 5 on June 18 2018

THIS COMPONENT IS IN THE TOOLS PAGE OF THE PALETTE OF THE OFFICIAL BUILDS AS OF JUNE 15, 2018.
compareComp.5.tox (14 KB)

1 Like

compareComp.4.tox now reports on DATs containing differing text in Text DATs, Table DATs, the Execute DATs and DATs that are locked.

Its output is now simple, with all results contained in one DAT output and the viewer. The doc in first post is updated.

GREG!

I love where you’re going with this… almost like it should be a COMP itself, for sure in the palette browser!

Thanks, yes, it will be in the next Palette actually.

+1 to Greg`s version control
:smiley: