KantanMapper v2 - an approach to simple mapping

Hi! I use MottoKantan in my project. It is good thing) but sometimes, an error occurs,flicker diamonds appear on top of the image. May be I must upgrade TD to .1000 stable version?

Hi,

completely missed this post. Did the stable build fix this issue?

Cheers
Markus

Hey there Markus!

Is Kantan Mapper a bit busted right now in the newest 099 stable build ( 12100 )? I’m seeing a some strange and broken behaviors, especially surrounding grouping things ( if i move something a to new group, it stops displaying its texture if it had one). Force cooking the entire network seems to kick things back into shape for the most part, though after doing that all the nice circle handles on the UI turn to black squares… On a reboot the UI needs to be kicked as well, and it seems like the corner handles don’t want to come back at all, even after reboot.

To that end, I’m also curious if there is any ability to get an object out of a group, as it seems like once you have everything inside of one group, when you create new thigns ( groups included) they start within that group, and I’m not finding a way to take them out. I guess if you just create one master group, and then stick inside of that it seems easy enough to stay in that group and from there you can move things in and out of groups within that top group.

Thanks!
P

Hi Team,

I’m also getting the behavior where any translate, rotate etc. action in select shape mode behaves as if the Alt key is pressed. I’m using build 099.2017.12100 This behavior stops if i delete and start again.

On a more problematic note, I’m trying to do the simplest test and any texture I import - moviein file, ramp or whatever, doesn’t really display as expected (or at all) . When I load the Kantan Mapper in it shows an error, when i follow the error in (or down?) I come to the Freekeys and FreeHandle- Geometries that both have the error Instancing texture requires NVidia kepler GPU or newer Does this mean Kantan is not available to those without this hardware?

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback

@spacesound - this was fixed in the Kantanmapper distributed in build 2017.12740, we removed the use of texture instancing so it would work on more hardware options.

@archo-p - Another way for you to get the texture display working without force cooking the whole network is just toggle the “eye” icon once in the shapes list. We’ll see what we can do about fixing that in the future. After restart again I had success with toggling the eyeball. What OS are you on btw?
We will look at the removing from group issue as I can see it once every shape has been put in a group. If there is still a shape not in a group, you can usually drag to drop if below that and it will exit the group.

Always comes with errors inside, no idea what’s happening

Hey,

there is an update to KantanMapper int he pipeline that addresses these startup errors. It’s taking a bit longer than planned.

Best
Markus

Hello good day, KantanMapper v2, has the option to map strips leds as resolume for example?

I leave a video: youtu.be/4Hy3Zn-X6_g?t=6m3s

Thank you

Hello Markus,
I have a little problem with Kantan on win10, 64bit - build2018.23760
When I drag textures to apply them to shapes, it works only sometimes.
Especially it works when i try it with 256x256 constants.
With most other drags, it shows the path but doesn’t apply the texture.
When i close the Kantan Window and open it again, i can see that the path is back to empty or back to the last successful drag. Same is true if I just write the path in the field.
It just doesnt seem to stick.

To be more precise… Once the “bug” appears, behaviour is as follows:
I select the shape, drag the texture into the path window, turn it on…
Is not visible. I select another Shape, then go back select the original shape and the path field is empty again. It doesn’t matter then howoften i repeat this action, the texture field will always be empty when i return to the shape.

Everything behaves good again, when i restart touch.
Not sure what starts this behaviour

cheers
Stefan

I’m also experiencing similar problems. Restarting gets the shapes to keep their texture path, but the textures don’t appear. I’m currently unable to use KantanMapper in this state. :frowning:

I’m on Windows Build 2018.26450.

Could you share a file that is in this state with me?

Cheers
Markus

Hey Markus, here’s a small but maybe useful addition:

I got an optimization of ~55% less cooking time (from 0.65 msec to 0.29 msec, with the kantanmapper viewer pane off, in build 2018.27300) when I change the following:

Under kantanMapper/ui/main/canvas set Passive parameter of the info1 and info2 CHOPs to On - this stops some unneeded cooking when UI is not visible.

Under kantanMapper/ui/main/canvas set the null1 CHOP cooking to Selective.
(this stops unneeded cooking in kantanMapper/project/onScreen)

You can judge better if these changes are indeed progress or a bad hack - but as the Kantanmapper is usually only edited during development and not during performance, I think the selective cooking can’t cause any trouble in this case.

cheers Idzard

Hey Nettoyeur,

That looks similar to a bug I recently found, with a similar fix:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13386

Looks like the next version should have some great performance improvements!

Hi there,

I found a bug in the way that Kantan sorts the transparency of its intertal geometry when rendering its final image.

In my case I have 2 images mappe din Kantan. One small image capture that is placed on top of a noisy background. The small image capture is a .png file that has transparency.

When the output of Kantan is comosited on top of a bright background, the background bleeds through the transparent edge of the png file, even through the bright background should be covered up by the Kantan background image.

This can be fixed by setting the Order-Independent Transparency property to ON in /kantan/project/render1

Now according to the docs, this option means that more render passes will need to happen, which in theory could slow things down. But perhaps it would be good to have this referenced as an option in the main Kantan parameters as it can be necessary in some situations.

I’ve attached some pictures to show what I mean. Have a look at the bright pink outline around the edge of the smaller image. This pink should be covered up by the noise texture.

Great tool, thanks!
It would be nice to have the ability to edit RGB values for each slice and the group.
Thank you!

This is a bit of a copy from the bug report forums, but I was wondering if anyone had come across this before.

I’m having what appears to be a bug with Kantan mapper on projectors in performance mode.

While in performance mode, I have a button in the UI that opens the properties window of Kantan. I then use that to open up the normal Kantan edit window

When doing this, the Kantan window updates like normal, but the output on the projectors does not update while dragging shapes around in Kantan.

However, with the properties window open, if I jump out of performance mode to edit mode, and then jump back in to performance mode again, everything updates correctly.

Has anyone experienced this before? Or had a situation where the projector output would not update?

Hi Markus,

I’m having similar issues to the below…

I’m following Elburz’s tutorial:
derivative.ca/Events/2014/T … eLoHFrJhMk

And when I add the rectangle to the boxes in the sample images (2nd video at 6:58), my red box is froze and doesn’t appear. I added a second rectangle (yellow) but I couldn’t even add a texture to it (or see the texture added when I selected ‘show’). I’ve attached the file for review. Maybe I’m missing something?

Thank you!

I’m also experiencing similar problems. Restarting gets the shapes to keep their texture path, but the textures don’t appear. I’m currently unable to use KantanMapper in this state. :frowning:

I’m on Windows Build 2018.26450.

MXZEHN wrote:
Hello Markus,
I have a little problem with Kantan on win10, 64bit - build2018.23760
When I drag textures to apply them to shapes, it works only sometimes.
Especially it works when i try it with 256x256 constants.
With most other drags, it shows the path but doesn’t apply the texture.
When i close the Kantan Window and open it again, i can see that the path is back to empty or back to the last successful drag. Same is true if I just write the path in the field.
It just doesnt seem to stick.

To be more precise… Once the “bug” appears, behaviour is as follows:
I select the shape, drag the texture into the path window, turn it on…
Is not visible. I select another Shape, then go back select the original shape and the path field is empty again. It doesn’t matter then howoften i repeat this action, the texture field will always be empty when i return to the shape.

Everything behaves good again, when i restart touch.
Not sure what starts this behaviour

cheers
Stefan
L05
ProjectionMapping_Elburz Sorkhabi.5.toe (1.47 MB)

Hello Markus
I have been using other aspects of TouchDesigner 099 build 2020. 20020 for simple projections for the past 5 months. I hit a major block attempting to use Kantanmapper v2 for an experiment in projection mapping.

1. When I open at first, everything works fine. The windows open and I’m able to draw the first rectangle. After that, I can’t move the corner pins to adjust the positions. The pins stay blue even when I click the pin selector mouse icon. I was following a tutorial by Elburz Sorkhabi and so I have been very meticulous.
  2. When I decide to use the freeform tool, I am unable to connect the last point to the first and so it keeps hovering with the mouse until I close kantanmapper. I very keen on exploring this powerful tool you made but I don’t know what to do now. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.
  3. Took a look inside some containers, hieroglyphs to me. But I realized some operations in the mastershapes had stopped cooking. I will upload images below. Kindly help anyone.

Running HP Zbook 15G2 Windows 10 64bit Core i7-5500u AMD FirePro Graphics 1gb discrete