Audio Device in problems, RME UCX, Asio drivers

I have a problem with buffer size, when trying to achieve a low latency audio input.
The RME Fireface UCX is supposedly capable of an input latency of 2-3 msec, but whenever I try in TD to set a buffer size below 50 msec (0.05), the sound starts stuttering, pitch shifting and crackling, no matter wich sampling frequency I set in TD and RME interface, and what latency I set in the RME interface. I am using the ASIO drivers. Am I pushing TD:s limits? I see no errors in the RME interface.

Any ideas?

/Jonas

You are limited by the frame time of TouchDesigner. The lowest latency you can get is 16.6ms if you are running at 60hz, but that means you never drop a frame. If you drop any frames you’ll crackle.
To avoid crackles your buffer size needs to be at least the size of the largest time between frames that can occur.

Ok, that explains it!
So if I am trying to make really fast audio reactive stuff, I could have a separate process with a much higher framerate for audio capture and analysis and a touch out chop to my audio reactive graphics…?

Yes, you can set the TouchDesigner framerate higher in another process. Because Vsync will limit you to the monitors refresh rate by default, you’ll only be able to get up to your target framerate in Perform Mode with VSync Disabled in the Window COMP.

Great, thanks!

Does the vsync option limit only the instance being windowed or all TD instances?

If you are setting it within TouchDesigner then it’s only that window.

Bumping this thread: could I get some assistance in setting the FPS higher for a specific process in order to reduce the latency of audio coming into Touch Designer?

I’m trying to ascertain whether the audio latency I’m getting is stemming from hardware or configuration in TD.

Sure, can you elaborate on what your question is? What steps have you tried?