about eventual mac version / what strategy?

a mac version is so important for TD simply for the sheer amount of growth it will allow for within the creative community. I know so many people that haven’t heard of it or have heard of it but wrote it off because they have no windows install to develop with.

With so many new users able to join in, the amount of collective knowledge around TD will increase dramatically and we’d be able to collaborate with so many more folks :slight_smile:

can’t wait for a mac release!

+1 Mac

Don’t get your hopes up, Mac peeps: Apple’s focus on Metal comes at the expense of updated native OpenGL support and they obviously don’t care about awesome hardware (the “Trash Can” Mac Pro is not very extensible - and 2 years old right now)

I’m curious if the direction that Microsoft has been going with Windows 8 and 10 conjure up any concern about the viability of Windows as a stable extensible platform for mission critical high power graphics stuff like TD. Until then I am totally comfortable with Windows 7, but I do feel the impending terminality of it’s widespread acceptance just as Windows 7 finally dethroned XP for stability, reliability and most importantly, hardware driver support.

I suppose as long as Windows courts the insular but resilient “pro gamer” market, there will always be the same kinda support for them that Touch Designer needs. I’m just wondering if everyone chases after the “walled garden” app-store model that built the Apple Empire and the customers-as-products free lunch (but we track you) model that made Google so big, where will that leave us? Linux? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Customizable/Extensible hardware driver possibilities is something that Windows and Linux have in common, so as long as you want to be able to engineer your hardware solution to suit your project, both of them make way more sense than OS X. On mac based projects recently, I always wound up having to dick around with SwitchresX and figuring out how to get the signal formats I need from the adapters you plug into the trash can macs.

I own more tech from Apple than any other vendor, but I hate to admit that they’re a lifestyle brand now. Their designs are well thought out and finished enough that if they were to make hardware that had Quadros and a less finicky adapter mode issues, it would probably be rad for doing production work, but they don’t.

The main thing I actually miss on the Windows side is the POSIX compliance, devfs and gnu/bash command interpreter. These features of OSX and Linux are really complementary to Touch. I’ve tried using Cygwin to get that Unixy feel on Windows, but it just feels like a vanity hack.

+1 for a OSX version!

1+ mac

I also would be interested in a Mac version :slight_smile:

Hi everyone! Question for Derivative Team.

Looked up latest OpenGl support for Macs - they are all on 3.3 or 4.1

support.apple.com/en-us/HT202823

I am working on the road on my personal MacBook 2013 and we deploy systems on Windows or Linux machines. We are already buying couple licenses a year at least. Core of our team, sound engineers and else work on MacBooks and would improve and spread the product by testing and developing should they be able to install on Mac directly.

At least trial limited version to play with functionality. Then deliver full resolution commercial projects. Would be very helpful.

+1 linux version

+1 CP/M version

Yeah unfortunately, OpenGL 4.1 is already 6 years old and by all indications Apple has no interest in supporting newer versions or using more NVidia stuff, so “porting” to OSX sounds almost like writing a new TouchDesigner from scratch (Windows+NVidia+OpenGL vs OSX+AMD+Metal)

extremetech.com/gaming/20776 … o-the-curb

I certainly would love to see TD running natively on a Mac Pro (if that product line ever gets updated again) but the current direction Apple is going, and based on where they make all their money (iOS) makes me not so sure they’ll be changing course anytime soon.

OMG OSX is killing me at the moment… So much amazing stuff happening in the land of amazing programs… My hand is firmly up for a version of TD for MAC but I’m not sure if it will come before I ditch my macbook pro and get a pc laptop…

+2 for mac version.

quite glad its not on mac! It gives us an edge over people that can afford a mac and already have maxMSP!
ok OS is good but, but you cannot let Mac and their extortion prices and incompatibility rule the world. lets keep it accessible!

mac+3
macbookpro running with nvidia gtx 980ti

Any word on this?

Can I delete my Bootcamp partition yet? It’s hogging all my HD space :nerd:

This may be true… but with the prospect of offloading graphics duties to external GPUs inside of monitors or external I/O boxes via thunderbolt, it doesn’t need to take the Mac platform out of the running for a top tier TD experience.

Not sure who posted that original quote with supposed inside information, but having been involved in a number of ‘fruit company’ events, and being able to read, I feel comfortable saying that no one responsible for long term Apple strategy is talking about it casually, if they like their jobs and houses.

It could well be true, but beware of insider information and of apple rumors. They were out of business years ago, remember?

Bruce

+4 for mac version. Just now I’m taking course about TD in Moscow and there are 4 out of 10 people in the group are with macs. Please make us happier :slight_smile:

hell has officially frozen over - experimental Mac beta 099 version now available if you have a current (paid) TD license. We’ve been alpha testing the OSX port the last months, it works great!
Read full story here:
derivative.ca/Forum/viewtop … f=4&t=9363