about eventual mac version / what strategy?

Apple’s forthcoming OS X 10.9 “Mavericks” release finally bring OpenGL 4.0 support to Apple hardware…

apple.com/ca/mac-pro/ … Supa dupa stuf starting at $4,000…

And it seems really portable!!!

So I guess this thread’s concerns might have been back in the works for a little while now?

Or should I figure out how to install win 8 on this little Can 'o Bliss?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken.

taking another look at upcoming mac pro… wow that is pricey.
and the video card is AMD- should work, but who knows ?- probably not realistically upgradeable - I dont really see the advantage of this form factor outside of the high-end office. It’s a nice sculpture I guess.

Its nice to see Apple catching up to openGL 4, but we haven’t made any new plans for OSX at this time. So yes, bootcamped-Windows is still the approach if you have Apple hardware. We don’t have much testing data from AMD FirePro cards, hopefully they perform decently.

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll get myself bootcamped and take it from there.

Hopefully I’ll be back with something to show soon, or some more questions.

K

Is anyone here using the new MacBook Pro with the 750M ?

I just installed windows on a new macbook pro with the 750m. It works, but it sure does get hot quickly! I made a simple geo to instance some boxes on a grid. The framerate dropped to around 30 and the fans kicked on, and I couldn’t even touch the aluminum right below the screen. Perhaps this is normal for graphics intensive apps on the mbp… I am new to the mac world.

Im using it and it works fine. Trackpad doesn’t make the best TouchDesigner mouse, but it does work.

The heat is currently related to the fact that in Windows, on a Macbook Retina at least, there’s no control over the graphics card switching, you’re always using the 750M, it’s just always on. Once it gets going, it’ll put out heat. Which means basically no matter what you’re doing in Windows, your battery will drain significantly faster. Hopefully a firmware or Bootcamp update will be released soon.

I’ve found putting a Speck plastic hardshell case on my macbook really helps dissipate heat along the bottom. I really recommend it.

I’ve been trying to use touch on a bootcamped mac, and I must agree that the trackpad just doesent work right. Are there any tips for configuring the trackpad to work properly with touch? I cant seem to get right click and drag working in order to select Ops.

My network drag has started working. No drag to select though.

Hi Elburz,
how is the performance of the Mac with 750m in terms of framerate, general load etc?

Pretty good. I only do auxiliary work on it, as I use more powerful machines for performances and installs. I’m happy with it though.

Hi there , i am about to bootcamp my new mbpro latest mdeol with 1tb ssd. How much space should I partition for windows 8 ? Hope anyone can give me some input. 20gb advised but i was thinking maybe some extra space is needed?

Thanks elburz, :slight_smile:

No worries.

I believe the OS is about 15gb or so? Then I’d say leave 10GB free just because. Then maybe 5-10gb for apps and such. Then however much space you want for project files and media.

On my 512gb SSD I made a 90GB partition.

You’ll need way more than 20GB… Windows 8 will quickly gobble up more like 40GB. Then you need some space for apps. I made mine 50GB and am constantly deleting and managing space, so I use an external 500GB SSD now, but everyday I wish that Windows partition was bigger than 50GB.

interesting…

I’m new to this idea, but I thought I read that Windows 8 required a larger chunk of blank space?

Also -

what Mac / Win drive compatibility apps are you using, if any?

( It might be nice to be able to access media clips in both OS’s, for example. )

A friend insists on using Macdrive on Win7 on our PC’s. I dont trust it though, I think it makes Win7 sensitive to ejecting drives if not unmounted properly(which he never does)

I use Paragon HFS+ on the Windows side and NTFS for Mac on the Mac side. Both work great. No issues in the few years I’ve been using them.

For all my external drives, like my USB3.0 enclosed SSDs, I format them in exFAT format which is compatible with both OSX and Windows without having to deal with any software tricks. exFAT has none of the file size limitations like FAT32 either. Its great, no BS.

The app looks so amazing and useful and creativity-oriented, it would be a surprise if you didn’t release a mac version. Touch Designer is developed using Python (?), which I always associated with macs, because of XCode / iPad development.