Texture Instancing on ATI

any chance that this is fixed in 099, or is it really a nvidia only feature?

just sad to not be able to use that really powerfull feature on my laptop with radeon hd 6900m, or any workarounds?

cheers

Funny you should ask, I was just thinking about this yesterday. There has since been a vendor-agnostic extension added that allows AMD to add support, and they have done so. Looking at the extension database though the lowest AMD card that supports it is the 7900, so you may still be out of luck on your laptop, sorry.
I do plan to add support for it for AMD cards though.

hey malcolm,
any news on that with 0.99 maybe?

thx a lot

would be interested to know if this might happen… loving being able to crack open touch on OS X for tinkering… I’m not sure if my macBook is ready for the big time yet…

I wondered if any new instancing capabilities would be limited to ATI macs, as nVidia openGL is capped at v3.30 until they launch a mac with a new nVidia card I am guessing…

On macOS the capabilities are limited to the drivers, not the cards (both ATI and Nvidia have similar limits). The existing GPUs in macs can do this, but the drivers don’t expose the capability. It’s unclear if it’ll ever become available on macOS sadly.

We actually started working on this but upon reading the spec for the ATI version of this closer, it does not work with with instancing sadly. So for now this will remain an Nvidia only feature, sorry.