help with Lanc + Serial Camera Control

Hi’

So I am new to serial, and hex and all that but Ive spent the last week+ trying to figure out how to use this serial to lanc adaptor to trigger my sony camera… I think Im close, but I may be going at it the absolute wrong way about it.

I have confirmed the serial port COM3 to be correct by using the software that the company that makes the adapter makes. I am also using all the same settings on the Dats parameters themselves… If anyone with experience in serial can just take a peek here and tell me what Im doing wrong…

Also… this may be a clue: If I use their software, connect to the camera and then close it and open up the touch serial dat it streams the serial from the camera… but not if I didnt come straight from their software with the connection established… One possible issue would be that I am not connected fully when sending the hex?

b\x18:
seems to be the ascii byte for 0001 1000

and then the hex ‘3A’ (rec) but Ive also tried ‘33’ (start/stop)

But Im pretty sure all I need to send is the (2 byte) message “1833” … but its a bitch to figure out how / where I am going wrong.

Serial lanc adaptor used
Lanc command info

After alot of research on python hex conversion jazz, this is the script I am now attempting to use on a serial dat :

import struct byte0 = '00011000' my_hexdata = "33" scale = 16 ## equals to hexadecimal num_of_bits = 8 binaryhex = bin(int(my_hexdata, scale))[2:].zfill(num_of_bits) fullbinary = str(byte0)+str(binaryhex) print(fullbinary) bytez = struct.pack('!H', int(fullbinary, 2)) print(bytez) op('serial1').sendBytes(bytez)

which simply does not work…

They sent me an example script written in VB.net:

[code]Public Sub Initial_Port()
Try
myport.Close()
With myport
.PortName = CommPortName
.BaudRate = 9600
.DataBits = 8
.StopBits = IO.Ports.StopBits.One
.Parity = IO.Ports.Parity.None
.ReceivedBytesThreshold = 4
.Handshake = IO.Ports.Handshake.None
End With

If myport.IsOpen() Then
        Else
            myport.Open()
        End If
    Catch ex As Exception
        MsgBox(ex.ToString)
    End Try
End Sub

Public Sub ResetInterface()
    'Turn off echo so the send codes to not return
    send_car("ATE0")
    Thread.Sleep(10)

'Return data only when the status changes
    send_car("ATC1")
    Thread.Sleep(10)

'sends the commands 15 times
    send_car("ATRe")
    Thread.Sleep(10)

'removed B0 + B1 duplication
    send_car("ATD0")
    Thread.Sleep(10)

'Send VTR stop
    bflag = 1
    send_car("1830")
End Sub

Public Sub send_car(ByVal car As String)
    Try
        myport.Write(car + Chr(13))

Catch ex As Exception
    End Try
End Sub

Private Sub bRecStartStop_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles bRecStartStop.Click
    send_car("1833")
End Sub

[/code]