MacBook Pro AMD gpu last generation

Hi, I am taking some TD class here in Montreal, but I have encounter some problems, like some of the exercises and .toe examples/samples gave by the teacher don’t work well with my Mac.

Some features are not available either. Some instance texturing and the particles gpu snippets for example doesn’t work.

I have a MacBook Pro 15" 2016, on High Sierra
AMD gpu 4G Radeon Pro 460
16G RAM
Intel Skylake 2,9Ghz
SSD

Is it normal? Will it be fix? Should I buy an external Nvidia GPU? A little worried and frustrated.

Thank You

You can see some of the features available only to nVidia cards here:
derivative.ca/wiki099/index.php? … quirements

But the fair majority work on AMD GPUs still. Likely the examples given to you for the class are made on a Windows computer and may not have been tested on a Mac, as there are some features missing in the Mac version of TouchDesigner, and specifically shaders need to be set to version 3.3 (I believe that’s the version on Mac currently, but I’m not positive) and a few other lines needed to be added for them to work correctly.

I wouldn’t buy an external GPU. You would get most of the way there by using Bootcamp to install a native Windows partition on your Macbook and using Windows version of TouchDesigner. I think that might solve many of your issues.

Thank you Elburz, by the way I am reading your Introduction to TouchDesigner book theses days, good job and thank you again.

Guillaume, Montreal