FEATURES
APPLICATIONS
DOWNLOADS
EDUCATION
BLOG
WIKI
FORUM
STORE

simple cheap optical encoder: second mouse?

Discuss graphics hardware, computer hardware, and input/output devices to use with TouchDesigner

Re: simple cheap optical encoder: second mouse?

Postby hunt.casey » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:36 pm

@lidphi
U-HID looks tight. I'd seen it pop up elsewhere before, but it wasnt until now that it dawned on me exactly what this was. Could very well be a solution for us. Thanks for the pointer.

@enthewhite
Thanks for the reply man. Glad yo hear your homie got it happening. Must work on my techno wizardry skills! I'm on it!

-Casey
hunt.casey

Postby priam » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:27 pm

Hi guys,

Maybe this (thanks to this forum on another post I started investigating, viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13321&p=50446&hilit=zero+delay#p50446): my first one works great! the one below is not tested yet but it seems it gets mouse-like inputs through a USB controller HID device, no drivers required, plug-in your stuff where the 360 joystick goes (supposed to be the head orientation input I gather).
Will confirm as i ordered it....
https://www.amazon.ca/Quimat-Joystick-R ... B07744T6KQ
Also went into that stuff:
http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac.html see trackball support
which again is usb and cheap & lean, ordering soon, P
priam

Postby priam » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:44 pm

Sooo yes :)

Just plugged in the Quimat board and un-mounted the joystick to find out 2 potentiometers for X and Y axes inside it, all smooth 2 axes of continuous input into Unreal no drivers required.
So should be exactly the same for TD (sorry tired tonight, too busy). And it's the left Thumbstick XY on a 360 XBox controller if you need to know.
Cheers! P
priam

Postby priam » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:37 am

But hey,

Bear in mind, I have an IcubeX 8x IO ports and really this thing will not be matched yet.
Just a ridiculously small investment, insane flexibility, the latest digital sensors compatibility 1024 increments, can do Midi, OSC, in-out, USB or Wifi, a digital artist tool proper.
It’s not an iffy USB HID thing. When you’ll want the real arcade Mame or Jamma gear, it’ll actually cost you more than an IcubeX... Have been poking there and the input boards will be much less friendly and will make you sweat code, Get that ;).
My conclusion so far: probably should’ve stayed Midi. To be continued.
priam

Previous

Return to Hardware