APPLICATIONS
DOWNLOADS
EDUCATION
BLOG
WIKI
FORUM
STORE

Datapath Fx4 alternative

Discuss graphics hardware, computer hardware, and input/output devices to use with TouchDesigner

Re: Datapath Fx4 alternative

Postby elburz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:39 am

I believe it was the X series, but I could be wrong. Been a while since that project.

That Startech MST hub might be worth looking into as well, I believe landoth has had some success with it since he mentioned it.
--
Elburz Sorkhabi
Creative + Technology
nVoid Art-Tech Limited
http://nvoid.com
elburz

Postby doctorhandshake » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:41 pm

I would say just about every video wall manufacturer has a SKU that supports daisy chaining. I know Samsung does for sure but I bet you can get that feature from anybody - it might just be bundled into a feature set that isn’t precisely what you want.
Noah Norman
http://hardwork.party

codename: massapequa
doctorhandshake

Postby carloalan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:21 am

I didnt find any more information on MST and GTX series graphic cards? Can you eventually attach more than 4 screens? Are they handled as individual screens or rather one large screen on the graphics card? landonth what graphic card did you use in your setup? thanks for helping!
carloalan

Postby catanese.paul » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:20 pm

Hi Everyone–
I have a straightforward goal to take a 3840x1080 HDMI output from my Nvidia 1060 card and "split" it for output on two 1920x1080 projectors. I've found the Matrox Triplehead's too unreliable for gigs showing up where there's just an hour or two for setup; I hear amazing things about the Datapath, but hoping for a more affordable solution.

I wanted to follow up on the suggestion earlier in the thread about using the AJA HA5-4K for this purpose - has anyone worked with this device / anyone have opinions or experience on using it for the use case I've described? I'd probably pair this with Blackmagic SDI to HDMI converters on the other end. I'm not terribly familiar with SDI other than what I've read briefly online - if there are any cautionary tales with it, please share.

thanks in advance!
-paul
catanese.paul

Postby ben » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:43 am

@carloalan and others, I just found out about the SST boxes which is a bit different than MST. Whereas MST effectively daisy-chains your monitors and presents the GPU with more additional monitors through a single output, SST devices just groups monitors together into larger canvases and these are much cheaper than FX4s. This can help you get around the Geforce GPU limit of 4 monitors presented to the GPU as well.

So this box can present 4 HD outputs as two 3840x1080 screens to the GPU via 1 DisplayPort and it is about $180USD - https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DCAX8U-A90062JWP
(Don't ask me where find these in your area, I just found out these things exist and am starting the search myself, anyone finding them elsewhere please post)

Now if you have the budget for FX4s, they are still recommended as the configuration is much more flexible and they have EDID control etc.

So the other tip for using these SST boxes, it is worth getting EDID dongles for every output as Windows will try to reconfigure your monitors everytime you connect/disconnect a monitor and its a real time waster.

Thanks to the wise @yeataro for showing me this cheap but effective solution recently.
ben
Staff

Postby oliviano » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:53 pm

I have used the HA5-4K quite a few times, with great results. We did a media server build with TD using 3 HA5-4K off a M5000 for 12 HD outputs. ( we mosaic all the displays, including a 4K UI monitor ). Also used them on a GX1 and solo Disguise servers.( on a pinch VFC cards replacement :roll: )

Each Dp -> 4x SDI feed is basically lock'ed together and you avoid all potential tearing & disconnect issues ( if using a non quadro GPU ). The system always sees the same output9s).

For installation, it work even better for us as we could run HD-SDI straight from the rack to the projectors / displays.

I've always used club 3D active dongles (cac 1040 & 1080) and extron 30cm HDMI cables.
oliviano

Previous

Return to Hardware