Fast pointers to operators via node storage?

Is it possible with node storage, to store a pointer to a node that can be used to interact with said node later that doesn’t involve the overhead of calling op(“some node”)?

I’ve tried storing a list of op’s once, then recalling them with me.fetch(“nodeName”) but it seems to use the same amount of cook time.

Also, me.var(“someNodeName”) is about the same in terms of performance.

do all of these python methods in the end require doing a name search of some sort even if the full path is obtained?

If there’s no faster way with Python, is there a way with Tscript?

Or other alternatives?

Thanks!

You can store an OP object directly in storage, which avoids the name lookup,
but ultimately, the name lookup is incidental. It’s the python processing that likely is the bottleneck.

As an aside, you can also reference operators by an id:

python >>> op('/project1/noise1').id 4128 python >>> python >>> op(4128) type:noiseCHOP path:/project1/noise1

But note these id’s change each time the toe is loaded.

In the end, is there any way to reduce the total number of python invocations, or the total number of python functions?
Generally number of characters = faster, when writing scripts, so assigning partial results things to local variables can have an impact.

We’re currently working on optimizing python interpreting, but have no official schedule set at this time.

What kinds of things are you doing with this list of operators?
Does the list change each frame?