Using component time to drive playback and animation

I’ve finally started to experiment with using a local time to drive my animation and playback. The pros are great - the built in time control and scrubbing is a life saver. But - it seems like ‘pausing’ makes the component and all items not cook? Is that true?

That would mean I can’t use it as a panel or anything useful, and the panel/time/playback nodes if use would end up as complicated as rolling my own.

Any suggestions? I know lots of you are using touch to play videos and match cues to it like I have to. What’s the current trick, or has everyone rolled their own frame counter systems and ignored time components?

Bruce

That is true yes.

What I do is have my panel separate from my timeline as in the attachment and that then works fine. The timeline COMP has component time whilst the panel runs from the main timeline.

Ennui’

What is that timeline system pictured in your example? Is it public / shared ?

Holy crap yeah, I’m trying to build something just like that and would ALSO love to know if it already exists and is publicly available. Right now I’ve just been (halfheartedly) experimenting with changing the background TOP of the Animation / keyframer pane…

Greg has an example in Op Snippits that shows how to use a timer and some containers to create a draggable timeline UI.

I can’t seem to find this?
In Help/Operator Snippets? Then where?

Thanks!

Sorry guys thats secret sauce for now…maybe one day.

greg’s basic timeline examples are in opsnippets → CHOPs → Timer

they are in the bottom…called timer_backtoback and movie_sequencer

Hey there.
One more question about timeline.
Is that possible to put inside ‘animation’ component audio waveform? I mean when you want to draw some changing linked to sound. Or its impossible and you should do this in the blind every time?

There was a facebook thread about this.

[url]https://www.facebook.com/groups/touchdesignerhelp/permalink/856373787861956/[/url]

Short answer is that the root variable BGTOP will put whatever top is defined there into the background of the animation editor. In one of the comments of that facebook thread, I uploaded a crude COMP that moves / scales it for you based on the position / scale of the animation editor window, but I think Phillip or someone else improved on it already.