UltraDMX Micro in TouchDesigner Problem

Hi folks,

I recently purchased a DMX King UltraDMX Micro for use in TouchDesigner with 2 DMX enabled LED cans. So far I am able to connect to the lights and control them via the DMX King configuration utility. However, when I close the configuration utility and setup the network in TouchDesigner, using the same port (COM6) and the “Enttec Generic Serial” driver, and the same channels (53-56) I can’t get the lights to respond. I tried "Enttec USB Pro” and “Enttec USB Pro Mk II” drivers but TouchDesigner returns a warning "Could not connect with the Device.” I believe that this device does not support ArtNet, if I’m not mistake?

I am currently sending 0 to channels 1-52 and 57-512, and I am sending 255 to channels 53-56. I have also tried sending 255 to all channels (1-512) with no results.

I noticed that when using the configuration utility the status light on the UltraDMX Micro indicates that is in "Transmit mode, DMX512 stream received from computer. Flash rate = DMX rate.” In TouchDesigner it indicates that it is in "Receive mode, no DMX512 stream detected. Power ON indication.” Do I need to do something to switch to transmit mode perhaps?

Anybody used this product with TD? Anny pointers on how I might get this working?

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Glen

did you get this figured out?

I would not expect this device to work with the DMX Out CHOP as those serial modes were designed for the ENTTEC devices which could have completely different serial protocols.

Okay, thanks Ben.

I was able to get it to work but unfortunately I am away from my office (and that computer) for a couple days. I’ll have to look at it when I get back. If you don’t here from me, give me a nudge. :slight_smile:

YES! thank you! Looking forward to hearing your solution.

(nudge!)

(and this is more for future readers/publicly piecing together the puzzle):
So I was able to get this to work today, but only once! Now the device won’t reattach to touch.

The way that I got it to work was very straightforward by comparison to what I had been trying, but I think the key was to reboot the machine with the device attached, then with the ‘DMX Out’ chop, go interface>Enttec USB Pro. Device>(autofills to dmxking serial #) and it just worked once, and it was glorious. And now when I retrace that process, it refuses to connect, and also freezes up touchdesigner. ugh why.

(nudge!)

did you get a chance to take a look?

Thanks again, looking forward to your insights!

I also was able to get the same device (DMXKing ultraDMX micro) to work once in TD using the Enttec USB Pro interface, then stop working. I can use it just fine from QLC+, but for whatever reason TD refuses to play. By doing some combination of opening up the device in QLC+, plugging/unplugging, pressing buttons in its reflash interface, and starting up the operator in TD in different ways I’ve managed to get it to work again, but not reliably and I haven’t figured out reproducibility steps yet.

When using the Enttec USB Pro interface, it just shows the little yellow warning icon and says, “Warning: could not connect with the Device.” It doesn’t give an error when I use Enttec Generic Serial but it doesn’t work either.

I wonder why it works once then stops working: maybe some initialization handshake that was maybe skipped over once? Baud rate setting? I even tried reflashing the firmware of the controller (maybe there was some stuck state?) but nothing.

I wonder what QLC+ does correctly that TD doesn’t do. You’d think that if there’s some invalid state in the controller or the FTDI drivers, controlling it via QLC+ would reset that state for TD. While it does seem that there’s some state change with QLC+ and TD, is it in the FTDI driver or elsewhere in the system?

This is Windows 10 with TD 2021.13610. I installed the FTDI drivers using the FTDI official Windows setup executable.