why are .geo files binary???????

the beauty of geo and bgeo is that you can look at the contents of a geo in a text editor and get a good understanding of the info that object contains.

but I just opened one and it’s binary…

d

Touch doesn’t save geo or bgeo files.
Do you know how it was created?
Was it a .tog file renamed to .geo?

(btw .bgeo is the binary version of a .geo, so it should be binary, not text editable)

Rob.

Ah, it appears our software accepts any extention when saving a geometry file.
It is only saving out .tog files though.
We will have the .geo .bgeo options removed from the menu option.

Sorry bout that.
Rob.

If we can read in .geo and .bgeo files, why can’t we write them out?

yes! I think Touch should keep its compatibility strong, not weaken it.

btw what are the input geometry formats, and is the output geometry only .tog right now? What can convert a .tog to another format?

thanks,
dani

The FBX importer can import a large variety of formats. fbx, 3ds, dxf, obj, dae. Along with this we also import .rib files.
The File SOP supports tog, bgeo and geo. Right now can only import the geometry through these methods, not skeletal systems.
If you have any problems importing geo through the fbx importer, send me the files and I’ll give quick fixes for it.

tog is a Touch-only format, nothing can covert it right now.
So until witting out bgeo and geo is revived (or we extend the fbx support to add an exporter), you actually can’t export geometry from Touch. Sorry, I’ll look into when we can fix this.

it supports collada imports, nice!

Weird, I thought I once opened a (touch saved) geo file in Houdini without a problem.

I agree with dani, it’s necessary to at least write out geo/bgeo files, so we can massage them in Houdini, e.g. putting static ambient occlusion into a point attribute in Houdini and use that occlusion factor in a simple glsl shader.

I haven’t checked but I think that version 017 can still save geo and bgeo? the .tog should open okay in 017.

it would be nice to have an ascii geometry format like .geo so we can read it adn others can maybe mess with it in other programs…

Rod.

We’ve bumped this up in priority.

-Rob