Using TouchDesigner with 8K video and ambisonics

Would Touch Designer 099 be a good tool for a simple projection mapping of an 8K video onto a contiguous wall space (one front + left and right sides of a square room)?

What about codec and video/audio format support? The video can be a straight h.265 mp4, or be in an .mkv wrapper (to accommodate muxed ambisonic audio (1st or 2nd order). The audio can also be separate as e.g. ambix or a multi-channel .wav, but needs to be in sync with the video.

I heard that I would have to use HAP or HAPQ for high resolutions, but I don’t understand why that would be – I only need to play a single file, and the decoding isn’t too much work for even a half decent GPU. VLC can accomplish what I need (i.e. play both 8K video and ambisonics up to 3rd order) using any half decent GPU, except for projecting the image correctly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes TouchDesigner would be well suited to this type of work, the video playback engine is one of highest performing you will find for your given hardware.

It supports H264 and H265 decoding as well as HAPQ. HAPQ just performs better for higher resolutions letting you get higher frame rates, more concurrent movies, etc. For example, last generation Nvidia GPUs can support 1 H265 8K stream of decoding around 44fps, not quite getting to 60fps. Unless you go to the latest Nvidia Turing GPUs which can support 8K @60fps. HAPQ on the other hand will run on many GPUs at these resolutions and frames rates, but you’ll have to have a faster solid state drive system to feed the HAPQ stream.

If you only have 1 stream to deal with, and it runs on your system in VLC, it will be no problem for TouchDesigner and save you re-encoding to HAPQ, so go for it.