Official Build 2018.23120 posted

The build we posted a few days ago introduced a fatal crash so this is a hotfix for that. Also the C++ TOP can now get the device context for your TouchDesigner instance which is helpful when dealing with multiple GPUs.

Release Notes

Download

Thanks Ben. Out of curiosity, how does this sort of thing happen when the official builds are usually months behind the experimentals? Do we need to encourage more experimental version users in order to catch the problems? I just used a production build with a fatal error on a gig :confused:

The Cross TOP crash was unfortunately introduced at the last minute when fixing another bug in the Cross TOP. I’m very sorry you ran into this crash at a live gig.

I definitely wouldn’t suggest changing builds soon before a gig unless there is a direct need for it though (like a bug fix or feature you absolutely you need). All software has bugs. As with any computer system, it should be used/tested a bit before going live, and ideally nothing should change between when it was tested and the live event.

Hello,

I have still the same problem with official build as in experimental build. When I make quit, I have a fatal error report. Not very annoying, no loss but it shows a problem.
MacOs 10.13.4
TD 2018-23120

We’ve had a couple of fatal errors when quitting TouchDesigner, which will be fixed in the next posted build. The fatal errors doesn’t affect file saving on exit.

Thanks Malcolm. To be clear, it didn’t crash for me on the gig, I just meant that I used a version that has a potential fatal error in it as per Ben’s description. So absolutely no harm done.
I def agree about testing stuff, I had actually upgraded because I was using an experimental version that had a crash with the osc in chop, so I kind of had to. Then I was less rigorous with testing than I should have been because I took comfort in the production ready status of the build. But again, no dramas, thanks for your hard work.

Hello Ben and Malcolm,
I agree that nothing armful is done with “fatal error” quit and thank you for the work.
I just want to ask when the next experimental build will be available. I saw the Greg presentation in Berlin and NY and I am waiting to test UTF8 text and collision physic, even with “deathly fatal” error!
All the best,
Jacques

Our focus is immediately supporting any issues found in the new Official, but we are also working on making the next experimental ready to ‘try’. We’d like to have it ready in the next month, but there are many unforeseen possibilities that could push this out. I’ll make sure to tell you as soon as its available!