Display grid as TOP

Hello Touch forum,

I’m really liking the way that TD dynamically creates grids for you in the interface background the when you press the display button on multiple TOP’s - is there any way to turn this display grid into its own TOP?

If not, how might you approach getting a dynamic display grid into a TOP? Some kind of replicator with a DAT and coordinates that get calculated? :confused:

Thanks!

Sam

Hey sam,

great question. You could tackle this by rendering a grid, or you could do this with a GLSL TOP. There’s a great example of how to make girds in this shadertoy tut:

shadertoy.com/view/Md23DV

Edit*
What other folks have said… I mis-read this and thought you were asking about the grid background of touch, not the grid layout - oops. :unamused:

Also look into the new Layout TOP (it’s in the current experimental release) which can automatically make a grid from any bunch of TOPs you feed it

I have something with replicators like you described here github.com/DBraun/TouchDesigner … packer.tox

You should lock the replicator COMP once you’ve picked the number of inputs. The GLSL code will be useful even if you don’t use the tox.

Move the the experimental builds and try the Layout TOP.

derivative.ca/099/Downloads … mental.asp

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

Layout TOP looks great! However the experimental build caused other problems with my project so I ended up with David’s solution.

I modified it so that it creates a grid from a single video TOP and you can set the ‘frame delay’ between each cell on the grid to create a nice effect.

I’ve attached here in case this would be helpful to anyone.
delay_grid.tox (3.11 KB)

Did you report the experimental problems with your project? We are working towards making it the official build so please report now!