NDI out Quality issues

We have a 1.2mm led wall with desired output resolution of 10800 x 1920, we are currently using NDI out of Touch to a D3 system over 10gbe nic.

So far what we have tried and results:

10800x1920 no alpha–>NDI OUT–> D3
result: unusable stutter strong compression artificats

5400x960 no alpha–> NDI OUT–> D3
result: play back is fine but quality is unusable very obvious artifacting even more so with any diagonal movement along LED wall.

5400x960 w/ alpha–> NDI OUR–>D3
result: freezes and locks up seems NDI does not like this resolution with alpha

So as of right now our biggest issue is compression/quality issues, playing back 5400x960 clips directly on the D3 server (no NDI) look great so going half res doesnt seem to be the problem. The problem appears that NDI seems to heavily affect the quality.

Has anyone had any luck doing something like this or came up with any solutions as of right now I’ve lost all faith in NDI which I was hoping the holy grail of high resolution output when capture cards really arent an option.

Any updates on the horizon, Im assuming touch uses NDI 3 but maybe that could be it if they are still using 2, or maybe its on the D3 side either way would love any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Have you tried using the NDI Monitor app on the receiver machine to see what the quality is there? It comes with the free NDI Tools you can download from Newtek.

Yes, we use NDI 3.

I’ve done some succesful shows with NDI and TouchDesigner (8 seperate 1080p streams over a 10Gbit network).

As Malcolm said, first use the free NDI Monitor application and check the image there.( Also you can run it on both receiver machine and on local TD machine to check for any network issues)

If the image also stutters in NDI monitor, watch current network traffic (ctr-alt-del performace monitor), if it is too high, lower your resolution (for instance to 1920x1080 to test) and see if that is the issue.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the response wanted to give a little update. So I was totally overlooking that the D3 system is pushing out 9 outputs in addition to receiving and decoding my NDI signal, when we were outside of D3 and just testing things worked well. Due to that constraint we opted for an aja corvid 88 card doing hdsdi out of touch to the sdi inputs on the D3 4x4 pro.

Thanks for the help

Ah, so the D3 system caused the stuttering - good to know. Thanks for posting that update.