Setup Windows - Do's and Dont's

Hi everyone,

I’m always wondering about how to setup Windows (especially Windows 10), so it never interferes with a show? I am especially concerned about windows or messages poping up over the TD window. Are there any problems with the automatic updates, if the PC’s are never connected to the internet?

I’m very grateful for any tip or advice you can give me.

Cheers, David

At least for mitigating things popping up over the TD window, I would recommend nVoid’s Stalker program:

stalker.nvoid.com/

It does a very good job of ensuring that the TD window is always in front, whether you want it to be or not. :slight_smile:

Also does some email “phone home” stuff and I think even keeps a detailed log somewhere, though I’m not sure about that.

As for the rest, the best practice is installing Windows over and over again hundreds of times over your lifetime and learning what does and doesn’t matter. And following the twisted, ever-changing journey that is Microsoft’s philosophy on how Windows Update and Activation should / does work.

Speaking of, I was looking into trying to provision some Windows 10 Enterprise E3 licenses (very frustrating) specifically for complete telemetry disabling and also Universal Write Filter. UWF basically allows you (every time the computer starts up) to create an image of your system and run from that image, so that no changes are saved and, the best part, if you suddenly lose power, no system corruption can happen.

I figure, once you get an install working, you could enable this, and then no matter what happens, or how much the client screws with the computer, just tell them to literally “turn it off and back on again” and it will go right back to where it started. Also, to your original point, django, there’s a lot more options to disable / suppress Windows Updates / Upgrades / pop-ups / automatic bullshit in the Enterprise versions.

Has anyone else messed with this idea? Successfully wrangled a license of Enterprise E3 to experiment with? It’s proving extremely difficult without spending a shit-ton of money. :frowning: