losing messages with TouchOSC

did anyone ever have the problem of missing messages from TouchOSC?

more to the point, I have a OSC In operator from which I dat Select certain messages, and the following dat calls a DatExecute.

I have a toggle on Touch OSC. It usually works but sometimes it skips a message and the
TouchOSC interface gets out of sync with the constant chop my dat execute stores values in every time it’s called.

Since the dat execute also appends the toggle state to a ‘trace’ dat every time it’s called, I can tell that the message (if it’s even sent) never triggers the dat execute

anyone had a similar problem of touch osc setting a state but touch apparently never receiving that message?

thanks!
dani

OSC is UDP based so it’s prone to packet loss, especially over wifi.

Interesting - any protocol that has been tried and it’s more reliable to connect a phone with Touch (two ways)?

thanks!
dani

Dani - are you looking for a wireless solution?

TouchOSC also has support for sending messages as MIDI though a USB connection - though you need to run another application to act as a virtual midi device.

I don’t know of any apps right now that specialize in confirmed messages - that usually introduces some latency, and most of the time folks in live environments try to avoid introducing lag into their controller set-ups unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Do you have a dedicated wifi network for your control set-up? Sometimes you can help minimize the degree of packet loss by setting up a network for just your control system.

Something else to explore would be setting a up a simple heart beat system - on a regular interval set a val in your touch OSC UI (like a blinking LED) with a OSC out CHOP or DAT, that should loop back to your OSC in acting as a force update for your messages.

Try this application, from Morioka Toyoshi, a TouchDesigner user at 1-10 Group in Japan. It supports TCP as well:

itunes.apple.com/qa/app/zig-sim … 09974?mt=8

Wow, thanks Greg, that worked great.