Interested in hearing from Surface Book users [edited]

[edit: I’ve realized that for my needs it’s safer to get a Book i7 with the Performance Base, so I’ve change the "Surface Pro 4 to Surface Book i7 for my inquiry :slight_smile:]

Hello,

I am in the market for a surface Book i7, specifically to run Touch. I’d like to hear from folks as to their experiences with Touch on various configs of the Surface Book i7

I can see from the specs that the top config ought to run pretty much anything a laptop can, but what about configs without the Nvidia gpu? Do they work with Touch? Has anyone played around and found limitations they would like to share with and without the Performance Base?

Thanks!!!
dani

I’ll let others that use a Surface comment on its usefulness, but on the System Requirements page at the bottom under “Feature Specific Requirements” you can see s few features are not supported by Intel GPUs.

derivative.ca/wiki099/index … quirements

Thanks Ben, that helps!
What does the lack of texture instancing mean? Does it only mean that basically you can’t change the uvs but that whatever uv/texture you have on the instanced geos will work?

tx!
dani

My comment is that it’s a very expensive laptop with not great performance. It’ll be enough to learn TouchDesigner, maybe do some single output little things, but don’t expect much. I’ve tired a bunch of laptops over the years and haven’t found a single do-all machine that is also slim and nice to use daily. You’re probably better off getting a nice laptop you want to use on the day-to-day and then get a workstation laptop for TouchDesigner, like a gaming notebook with a Geforce 1070 or 1080 in it.

makes sense. Unfortunately I need to prototype something for a client who wants to end up running it on a tablet. The ultimate product will be on Unreal so as to run on windows and mac tablets (unless Derivative enters that market before).

So I’m trying to find - for the prototype - the fastest tablet-laptop hybrid so I don’t have to go insane optimizing in the short time I’ll have to do this.

Never used the surface book, but based on specs a cheaper and faster convertible seems to be the Lenovo yoga720 with a gtx 1050

That’s a great suggestion, it’s almost half the price.
The only functional differences I see is the Book has better camera(s) and has the sensors we expect in a tablet, but the lenovo doesn’t seem to have any sensors in the specs (more of a laptop that can be used as a surface to draw on).
Still, I may end up buying a Lenovo :slight_smile:

Thanks Achim!

dani