TouchDesigner fails to start

Double clicking the .exe results in a process starting up then immediately quitting. TouchPlayer does the same. No error message, no log, no clues. Have tried with 088 and 099, 64 bit versions.

OS is Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit.

GPU is Nvidia Quadro 2000M, in a Lenovo W520. Tried installing the latest drivers direct from Nvidia but the problem persists.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Can you check the windows event log , in particular in the application section, to see if there are any log entries relating to TouchDesigner. That may tell us where the fault is occurring.

Hey, thanks for the response. In the applications section of the event viewer, the only log is quite unhelpful:

“NVWMI - TouchDesigner [d:/program files/derivative/touchdesigner099/bin/touchdesigner099.exe] was launched and [Derivative] profile was applied”

In the Quadro settings can you force the system to use the nVidia chip at all times? See if that helps.

Hmm ya, that log message doesn’t tell us anything. Not sure what is going on here exactly, it’s strange that it’s not at least crashing… Elburz’s suggestion is good if that’s possible

Yep this is done, via BIOS. Integrated is an HD3000 which TD refuses to start on. Still no joy.

Have you installed all Windows updates? We’ve discovered at least for 099 there are some required windows updates for Windows 7 that need to be installed.

Hey, thanks, actually it’s a computer that usually lives offline for music production so it’s definitely behind on windows updates. I’ll get it up to date and report back.

Edit: windows updates installed, restarted, still no joy from TouchDesigner :frowning: same non-start…

bump!

@Eikki and @Geissier

You’ll have to give us more information to help, as it seems hardware and operating specific in the original poster’s case.

Does your system meet minimum requirements? What OS are you running, Windows 7 like the original post?
What graphics card are you running? You should update your graphics drivers and apply Windows Updates if applicable.

Then if its still not working, please report what the log says as Malcolm asked the original poster. You might want to start a new thread since its likely your case will be different.

Hi Ben, thanks for the response. In my case it’s still the same, here’s a recap:

OS is Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit. All up to date now, including GPU drivers.

GPU is Nvidia Quadro 2000M, in a Lenovo W520. Processor is an intel i7-2860QM (quad core) with 8GB of RAM.

Log reads:

“NVWMI - TouchDesigner [d:/program files/derivative/touchdesigner099/bin/touchdesigner099.exe] was launched and [Derivative] profile was applied”

Thanks

While you ‘should’ be able to install from D:, is this your default OS drive? What happens if you install on C:?

D: is my default OS drive - there’s no C:. I think another drive was mounted when I initially installed the OS and now it’s impossible to change without breaking everything, so I’ve rolled with it. No issues so far.

I was having similar issues where I would try and start TD and nothing would happen, not even a process showing up in task manager for a split second.

I ended up going through and updating both my nvidia and intel graphics drivers and that seemed to fix the issue, everything is working now.