How Detailed Should I import FBXs for CamSchnappr

Hi,

I am trying to make a projection mapping installation. The concept is simple, there is a flat wall with sculptures on top of it. The wall is a really simple geometry – just a simple cube; but the sculptures, of course, have a lot of detailed geometry – they are like each 400-500 vertices and we have 4 of them.

The aim is to light up the edges of these sculptures at a certain point, like wireframe-view.

I am however confused about the workflow, should I be uploading into camschnappr a complex geometry with the actual sculptures or should I make dummies and upload those geometries instead?

I guess dummies would be easier to pull and push the vertices but then doing the wireframe would be harder. What are your suggestions?

Thanks a lot for the help

I tend to do dummies, and use in parallel, but that’s mostly due to historical difficulty with big vertex counts and selection in Camschnapper. Possibly those have all been addressed.

But - you also mentioned pushing and pulling vertices? If you just mean when tweaking in Camschnapper, then see above, but if you want to actually change vertices - for instance to correct between model and physical build errors - pretty common, then you have another challenge - what should happen to other points in between?

In that case, maybe use the lowest res you can and sub-divide right in TouchDesigner (make sure it isn’t always cooking though). You do want a reasonable vertex count, even on flat surfaces, or you’ll see nasty texture smearing on bigger areas.Otherwise you’ll end up having to drag lots of points around.

Other tips: you need a minimum of 6 points, but 8 or so seems best, and you should work hard to get all the points onto different planes. In the past, I’ve used reference poles on other planes to get the points if your model is pretty flat. That’s critical.

Bruce

FR - be nice to have version numbers in Camschnapper. For instance, the 099 version doesn’t work in 088.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the answer. After some trial and error, we were also coming to a similar solution. Once the mesh was triangulated it was impossible to map it properly.

Best
Omer