Multi Touch in DAT select not working

Hey folks, so I’m a relatively new convert to touchdesigner and I’m trying to create a fairly simple application that allows you to “paint” with your finger on your touchscreen laptop. I’ve studied the multitouch and multipinch examples available and couldn’t make heads or tails of what the hell is happening in the programs. I was able to get a working u and v value but it seems the select and id outputs in the multitouch table simply don’t work (select is always equal to 0 except when you release your finger, or randomly it will switch to 1 after your finger is down for a good couple of seconds.) It seems this user had the exact same issue and it was never resolved. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8281

I basically need to add dynamics to the paint brush as well as finger gestures, so I need a working output at least for whether or not a finger is down, how many fingers are down and the u and v values of each one. Things like finger released, rotate and pinch I can probably code myself if I have to.

If anyone has experience using multitouch do you think you could help a brotha out using a simplified example?

When you drag the multitouch example from the Palette (so not the old examples from the forum) to your network, does it work for you? (as in, can you drag the ‘planets’ around with your mouse? and then can you drag the planets around with one finger? with multiple fingers as well?)

If the answer is yes to all of those, can you try this:

• rightclick on the multiTouch Comp, select View (so it opens in a seperate window, make it small so you can still see your network)
  • zoom into /project1/multiTouch/multiTouch, until you can see the Multi Touch In DAT named “mtouchin1”
  • click with your mouse in the separate window to drag planets around, and check that you see data updating in mtouchin1.
    -now do the same with your fingers on the screen (Note: the Multi Touch In DAT only monitors touches inside that separate window)

What is the result?

Also about the painting; in Palette under Techniques there’s a leapPaint example which should give you some hints about creating a paint brush.

Also, at the most basic level, you can just add a Mutli Touch In DAT to an empty project to see if the events are coming into TouchDesigner correctly. You can turn on the “Include Mouse” to see of the mouse works, then turn that off and see if your touch inputs work. This is the basic input that those other examples work around, so this is the first thing to confirm is working correctly.

Awesome, thank you! I’m not sure what was going on, I suppose I was just unable to see it working and see the 4 other columns since I thought I had to be in perform mode to touch it.