Stoner vs. UV+remap quality problem

Hi,

I am working on a scene that requires a lot of stoners. After 3-4 stoners, FPS drops dramatically, so I am using UV output (exporting image and using it in a moviefilein top) + remap operator to increase performance. But the remap tool does not work the way I expected, It adds some sort of noisy displacement to the image. I’ve attached the examples.

I am using Touch Designer 088, 64 bit Build 58910. Thank you very much.

in Build 59620 and higher a new version of Stoner is included. This generates its own displacement map on the second output, so you don’t need to feed it your own green/red ramps (which I guess are in the wrong format in your example).
But also in this new version, on the custom parameter page of the stoner you can set a custom Base COMP (which you have to place somewhere), where all your settings will be saved, it outputs a displacement map. Use that to feed to your remap top, and delete your stoner after this.

See this example where i placed an empty Base COMP called myMapping1 next to the stoner.
Stoner filled it automatically with all settings and the displacement map.

If you place a new stoner in the future and point it to this myMapping1 you can open&change all your keystone and grid mapping points! So in this new version it’s much easier to have multiple mappings in one project, and no stoner.

This is perfect, thank you very much.

can you tell me how to get the baseComp to fill out with the stoner displacement map?

The explanation is in my reply above. Go to the custom parameter page of the stoner and enter location of your own basecomp

i must be missing something or i dont understand how to use the baseComp. I type in the location and hit enter, i get nothing. Noob

you must also first place that new base comp yourself.
After that open stoner window and make some adjustments, they should be saved in your newly placed comp

i don’t get the output on my base comp to connect to a null. Still missing a step.

is there something that needs to be done with the baseComp before i type in the location in stoner?

Hey I found my mistake. Project1 instead of project. My apologies.

:wink: check!

For future reference, today I realized that the remap quality depends on the bit depth of the red/green image! Crank it up to 32 bit float for the most accurate interpolation (also play with the ‘input smoothness’ parameter).