Shilouette realtime tracking

Want to achieve this: a group of dancers are performing with a white screen in background. At a specific time a prerendered animation is projected, and will just follow the position of one of the dancers.

Didn’t want to use Xbox due to big scene and multiple dancers, want to do all using camera realtime streaming, I did need only to recognize the silhouette. Want your opinion if it’s possible using TD.

Hi,
Interesting question, I’ve been wondering about the same thing albeit for a different scenario.
So I’m also very interested to hear from the TD community regarding this.

Thanks

Searching appear there are some solutions

Did myself create in 5 min this stupid background removal using moving pixel, it’s awesome I didn’t never used TD and was able to create it following this tutorial [url]http://sweb.cityu.edu.hk/sm4125/SM4125-11.pdf[/url]
Extract moving objects.toe (3.85 KB)

Yeah this is totally possible in TD. I made the outline tracking example linked in the last post - essentially all it is is just a nice UI for a corner pin and simple background subtraction. I actually remade this a couple weeks back with a cleaner UI, adaptive background functionality and custom parameters, will post a .tox here tomorrow when I can get back to my laptop.

It will only give you a mask image calibrated to the projector though, if you need information about the centroids of individual dancers and don’t want to write OpenCV code I can recommend a tool called OpenTSPS ( tsps.cc ) It does all of that for you and sends all the info you need out via OSC…

Nice to find you here.

Didn’t need centroid or 3d tracking, only the outline but extracting not just from one but many dancers in realtime, one of them need to be the choice to follow. Also can’t use Kinect but only videos from just one fixed camera.

I attach an example from one of the shows, just as example the one with the red circle need to be the dancer where I will project in the background some pre-rendered material.

Hey, sorry it took me so long to get back on this. Here’s my recently updated outline tracker tool. As I said before, it’s basically just a fancy UI for a corner pin TOP and simple background subtraction.

This will not actually do what you need in terms of isolating single dancers though, it just gives you a single mask for everything that’s different to the background.

For that you are going to need to either use a Kinect of something like OpenTSPS that gives you unique IDs for each area/person being tracked. You will have to find some way of solving the problem of selecting which area/person is being used for the mask at a given time, and even then you will run into problems when the dancers are obscuring each other (like in your picture) The kinect is OK at handling this to some degree, but any background subtraction method is going to merge overlapping dancers into a single blob…
OutlineTracker.toe (17.2 KB)

Interesting, some questions: did you need a Kinect to make it work? Do you need to input manually a background mask? Using OpenTSPS there is a direct way to input data into TD?

I think if you want to handle the case where dancers slightly overlap, then yes using a kinect’s player index image would be the easiest way to do this

In my program, and I believe in OpenTSPS there are two ways of getting a background image

• Taking a snapshot
  • Learning the background over time

In my program, you can click on “Open Params”, then “Bg Subtraction Params” then toggle “learn bg” on to learn the background over time.

Yeah as far as I remember OpenTSPS sends everything it does out over OSC, so you can reconstruct the outlines in TD and use them however you like

Hey guys ! Is there any updates on that subject ? I would love to find an alternative to the kinect 2 functionnality. I did not tried OpenTSPS yet, but the last stable release is from 2014 and the beta ( from 2016 ) is only en MAC.

Thanks !