How to display output on second monitor?

Hi - So, looking through other examples I assume I would just hook my TOP to a Window COMP ‘Operator’ and then set that monitor to monitor 1.

But I’m not getting anything on the external monitor. Even when I use F1 for perform mode.

I can click open and it will open the viewer which I can see… but not when I’m in performance mode.

I’m not sure what I’m missing.

[EDIT]:
So I figure out I need to ‘Open’ and it will actually open on the 2nd monitor. Cool. Mission accomplished - BUT! Why can’t I click anywhere in the network with that open on the second monitor? Or if I use F1 to go into perform mode - I can’t click anywhere on the performance UI with the 2nd monitor display open.

I need to be able to keep this output on the 2nd monitor while I can use performance mode on the first.

Suggestions?

[EDIT2]: Turned off the always on top option - now I can click in performance mode.

Thanks!!

The thing to note about Perform mode, is that once you enable it, your network stops rendering, which is how you get a boost in performance. If you want a control panel while in perform mode, best is to make your main window a little bit bigger than what your output window is, then put your control panel in there, so that when you open up the window, your main content rests on the main output, and your control panel will fall onto your other free monitor.

That make sense?

“The thing to note about Perform mode, is that once you enable it, your network stops rendering, which is how you get a boost in performance.”

ahhhh, I see. Makes sense…

“If you want a control panel while in perform mode, best is to make your main window a little bit bigger than what your output window is, then put your control panel in there, so that when you open up the window, your main content rests on the main output, and your control panel will fall onto your other free monitor.”

Hmmmm. I think I understand, but I can’t seem to get it to work that way. I’ll investigate when I get home.

Thanks!

Easier to explain with real world example.

You have your computer connected to a 1080p monitor, and a 1080p projector. You want a control panel on the 1080p monitor and the output on the projector. Instead of making 2 window comps, and assigning one to each monitor, it’s much more efficient for TouchDesigner to make 1 large window comp that fills both screens.

So in the above, you would make a window comp that is 3840 by 1080. You would use TOPs to make a texture that big where the first 1920x1080 chunk is your control panel, and the 2nd half is your content. I’ll switch computers and make a quick example now.

1 Like

Check the attachment. Hope that helps.
window example.toe (4.67 KB)

1 Like

This is what I had in mind - and I tried it at one point and time but didn’t get the results I expected.

I’m on to other things now. When I circle back around to this I’ll let you know if I have anymore issues.

Thanks again man.

Ok I get this now. I had previously been scratching my head as to why this wasn’t working properly on my monitor setup. I had a couple of my monitors setup to be on top of each other rather than side by side. So the external display was being pushed outside the monitor position.

:slight_smile: