different palette ~ nice to be here!

This is my first post on this forum, happy to be here!

I just downloaded the free version of TD, very excited to start playing with this new toy. However, I just noticed that the version I downloaded doesn’t have shader support on the palette. Is this feature available only for the paid versions?-> this is one of the reasons I would be interested on using TD as I have been using shaders for a while and i think is a powerful feature!

Another question, is there any SDK available to write our own modules/components? if so, which language is used for TD development?

thanks!!

-emmanuel

Hey, welcome.
Be sure to click the ‘Expose Expert Operators’ button on the OP Create Dialog to show all operators, the GLSL nodes are in there. For SDK there is a CPlusPlus TOP and a CPlusPlus CHOP which obviously use C++, but you need a FTE Commercial or Pro license to use those. There is also a CUDA TOP if you want to write CUDA code.

Hey Malcom, thanks for the help.
So I managed to expose the glsl module to the patcher. Couple more questions( and then straight to do all the tutorials so I won’t ask any redundant questions anymore :wink: )

1-is there any kind of editor available to write the shaders?
2-is there any concept of multi-pass on TD? I am thinking something like FBO’s
3-finally, i just noticed that TD is using glsl 1.2, that means that the core of the program is using openGL 2.1, right?

many thanks for the help!

-emmanuel

You can use any editor you want by setting a windows environment variable $EDITOR to the path of an .exe. Then when you right click on DAT and click ‘Edit Contents’, or click the Edit button in it the DATs parameter the DAT will be opened up in your external editor. When you save the file the contents will get pushed back onto the DAT.

You can also click the button in the bottom right of the DAT node to make it editable in the node itself.

Every TOP is basically a multi-pass technique. It takes the output of a previous pass and does something else to it. You can chain multiple GLSL TOPs together, or use the Render and Render Pass TOPs to do operations based on multiple different shaders.

Yes it’s 2.1 at the core but we use many new OpenGL extensions as appropriate to speed things up (such as instancing for example). I have also added support for GLSL 3.3, 4.0 and 4.1 in the next major release (but it won’t make it into 077)

So far everything is very clear except how to set the path for the editor( sorry, I am mostly a mac user and i lack experience with the path definitions on windows). Is there any available tutorial on line or in the wiki to set such paths?

so far I have managed to find the properties of the system and I am trying to link notepad++ as my editor for this kind of jobs.
What do you mean with the DAT? is the filein object?

thanks!
variables.PNG

Yup, check here

derivative.ca/wiki/index.php … _Variables

Don’t put the $ when defining

Sorry, when I say DAT I mean the Text DAT. That is where you’ll want to hold your shader code.

super cool, it is working now!

also i saw there is a SSAO node, wow!

Just wondering if the ‘expose expert operators’ might be changed to default to everything visible with a 'hide scary concepts ‘til I’m an expert’?

even touch beginners seem to be maniac enough to look straight into the abyss and go for it.

rod.

Hey Rod,

In Preferences > General you can turn on “Expose Export Operators on Statup” to keep Export OPs always visible.

Hi Ben,

the point I’m making is that, perhaps most beginners at Touch want to see all of what’s available and just go for it. I think that it’s better to make it default to expert mode and give people the option to go to a less overwhelming mode if they need to. touch is overwhelming even in beginner mode so I don’t think there’s an advantage.

That is of course easy for me to say being quite a veteran beginner of several years’ standing.

what do newcomers to Touch say about this? It doesn’t bother me either way, I just notice questions from people wondering where the functionality is hiding.

Rod.

Hello,
first post too. Really excited. I’m on a mac and was programming Isadora before… Whole other world here. And first strange behaviour of the op create dialog. Even if I follow the instructions in this post (preferences-operator expose level-all) then I click on apply then accept, my op creating dialog doesn’t show the expose expert op checkbox nor the “basic-all” button at the top right of the op create dialog window. Why is that. I, on a Mac on the latest version… Any idea?

Thanks

Armando

Welcome to the forum Armando,

well, the last post in this thread was from 2011,so you can expect lots of stuff to be different these days :wink:
And the default in the current version of the OP Create Dialog is is that always ALL operators are shown - so no need to look for missing operators.

Do different versions of TD show different tools in the palette window? I’m going crazy trying to find Katanmapper and Firmata. It’s definitely not in there.

I’m on 099 for mac.

Those are in the Palette (Alt + L) since they’re complex tools, not single operators.

Kantan Mapper should be a comlex tool… and I also don’t have it in my palette… :slight_smile:

ver. 088, 64bit b.62960

I think it was added to the palette in 099. For 088 you will have to search the forum for Kantan and find the original forum thread where it was posted here.