Draw All TouchDesigner Windows

more optimisation questions!

If I throw up the performance monitor and hit Analyze I get a very large proportion of the “Total Frame Time” being taken up by “Draw All TouchDesigner Windows”. In performance mode of course this changes drastically

for example :
108.969 ms Draw All TouchDesigner Windows
150.513 ms Total Frame Time
33.333 ms Unaccounted Frame Time

in performance mode :
6.553 ms Draw All TouchDesigner Windows
34.372 ms Total Frame Time
14.059 ms Unaccounted Frame Time

So that’s a pretty massive hit for node layout, ui etc right there and it seems to be pretty default behaviour for any new nodes or components being laid down, any way of changing this default behaviour or quickly dealing with it? It even crashes projects when exiting performance mode.

btw… in build 9280 the new default render rez seems to cause pop up viewers to be the wrong size.

also… being a noob I’m a bit thrown by the new named column format with older projects:
“Warning : Using Obsolete export format. Please use named columns: path parameter value enable.”

which I presume is for this stuff:
borderleft 1
borderright 1

which now has to be something like this I guess
name index path parameter enable
SliderH 0 transform1 tx 1

but I’m very new to building components in touch so I’ll chalk that one down to experience…

Cheers
L

Performance Mode is the best way to stop the rest of the UI elements from cooking. You can also turn off all viewers and uncheck “Turn Viewer On by Default” in the Network section of Preferences. This will help a bit while in the Network Editor, but you will still find more overhead than Performance Mode. Please send any any .dmp files files that are produced during Performance Mode crashes to support@derivative.ca and we’ll look at them right away.

Can you provide a screengrab of the pop-up viewers being the wrong size? The Viewer for TOPs is always opened at the resolution of the TOP. Other operators use a 400x300 default size for their floating Viewers.

The export warning is provided to help the transition to the new exporting methods, however your old exports should still work. To update your exports, you can remove the old exports (likely through the CHOP Exporter) and re-create them by dragging the channel from the CHOP viewer and dropping it on the parameter to be exported to. This will create new exports using the newer DAT-based exporting methods.

To continue with the exporting changes, that warning you recieved was more likely from a previous DAT export, not CHOP export. You are correct in that the new column format requires separating the path and the parameter into their own columns. There is also an optional enable column allowing you to selectively turn exports on and off. If this column is left out, all exports from the table are enabled when the DAT’s export flag is on.

Fantastic, thanks for all the info! Digesting over morning coffee…

here’s an example of the incorrect top viewer res

bad
badRes_A.jpg

good - drag the viewer border and it resizes correctly
goodRes_A.jpg

not something that causes any real problems though

I believe this is the file that was crashing, can’t reproduce it right now of course! It’s just some procedural animation going through a feedback top network as an experiment. When I put some copy stamping sops in there it started crashing when exiting performance mode.

Next time I get a .dmp file I’ll pay attention to it!

beers
L
hsvOffset_B.16.toe (225 KB)

This doesn’t crash for me here. However, the file is missing all the external images you added to the network /project1/Feedback/container1/geo4

If you want to include these images for a working example, you can use the “Lock” flag on the Movie In TOPs to lock in the images. This means they will be saved in the .toe file, and when the file starts up it will not try to reload them.

I’ll take another look here if you report with images included, but if you get a .dmp file from one of your crashes, that would help us get right to the route of the problem.

Thx