point sprite attenuation

Also demonstrable in this file I uploaded: download/file.php?id=1284
I can’t get point sprite attenuation to work correctly. It doesn’t seem to be documented, so I’m not sure if it’s just not working yet or if I’m doing something wrong. I set my far point to about 0 and my near point to about 2. Adjusting the near/far point scales doesn’t seem to work correctly.

My apologies, the help is now updated.

If you play with the near/far plane values of the Camera COMP, you can get an idea of where you sprites are located in camera space. When they disappear you know you’ve found where they are.
In this case it seems the visible points are between 0.4 and 0.8. So if you set your Attenuation Near/Far distance to this values, the sprites will get scaled from your Near Scale (for the closest sprites) to the Far Scale (for the farthest points).
You don’t need to leave the camera near/far planes at that, it’s just a visual way to see where the points are in relation to the camera.

Thanks! I think I couldn’t get it working because for some reason I was imagining that it was attenuating based on world coordinates, not distance from camera (which of course, doesn’t even really make sense). Works great.
-michael