followed effect

Hello
I am new in the forum. this is my first post here. :smiley:
I am also new with TD.
I have to work to an university project and I don’t know how to start.

I would need to be followed from musical notes or particles while moving. I think this can be made with Kinect. is there already a similar project that i can use as inspiration? or are any tips about the path I have to follow for that?

thank you!

Hi and welcome!

Yep a Kinect would definitely work and probably be the best option for you starting out. They are relatively inexpensive and do a pretty decent job tracking people. I would recommend the Kinect v2 over the v1.

Here’s a video from a show I worked on about 5 years ago for an interactive dance team called Wilderbe. I think we were use IR tracking markers instead of a kinect but the idea is the same:

[url]Wilderbe - Real Time Interactive LED Video Wall - YouTube

Tough to say which approach would be the best but you’ll probably want to check out the Particle SOP.

[url]https://docs.derivative.ca/Particle_SOP[/url]

There are some good references for usage in the Op Snippets scene found in the help menu:

[url]https://docs.derivative.ca/OP_Snippets[/url]

Thank you matthewwatcher!

I managed to track my head and shoulders and make them follow by particles.
i’m not sure i can track my Whole body because in the end i’m using the webcam and i need an optimal balance between position and lights.
However I guess i can manage the complete body tracking, using the Kinect as well, once i exclude the background and isolate my shape.

But now comes the other part. At the moment just particles are following me and for my project i’d like to be followed by musical notes. Is there a way to add the picture of musical notes and make them behaving like particles?

Yep! You can use point sprites. There’s an example on this page that you might find useful. I think there’s also a few examples in the OP Snippets scene found in the help menu.

[url]TouchDesigner Documentation

Here I am again after a 2 week break!

So far I managed to create the effect, following the instruction of this tutorial:

and adding some infos from this other one:
youtube.com/watch?v=yyOe28GJdto

i didn’t manage to substitute the original particle shape with the musical note through the function PointSprite.
In the end I used a Constant but I am not even sure if the particles have become musical notes. I guess yes but now my question is how can I modify the scale of my particles order to make them visible?
I tried out to add a Trasform SOP but it didn’t work.
project - music notes.3.toe (6.52 KB)

I think the issue you were having with the Point Sprite MAT was that the Particle SOP’s Particle Type parameter was set to “Render As Lines”. Changing this to “Render As Point Sprites” allows the use of the Point Sprite MAT.

Also, to get the transparency of the notes to composite correctly it is necessary to set these parameters:

Point Sprite MAT - Common Page - Blending (Transparency) = True
Render TOP - Advanced Page - Alpha-to-Coverage = True

The scale setting can be found in the Point Sprite MAT as the parameter labeled “Constant Point Scale”. As well, you can Attenuate the point scale based on the distance to the camera with the parameters found below Constant Point Scale.
project - music notes.4.toe (15.5 KB)