Trying to set up Midi Devices with TD

Hi everybody,

So, I recently started using TD, Took a workshop in CDMX with Matthew Ragan and Zoe Sandoval. It was pretty awesome but also it was very fast and know I have a lot of things I want to do and I’m not shure how to get there. So the fisrt thing I want to do. I have a few MIDI controllers I want to use trought TD and I happend to have the Novation Launch Control that kindly Matthew gives an overview on how to set it up in TD. I followed the tutorial [url]https://matthewragan.com/2017/01/23/working-with-midi-devices-touchdesigner/[/url] but still haven’t being able of doing the next things:

1 .- I can not turn on or of the arrows buttons LED on the left side of the controller. I Tried the LFO and Rename option but the truth is I have no idea on how to use the rename chop function and also I have no idea on how I send the message of an specif button in to the LFO + RENAME + MATH + MIDIOUT

2.- I manage to set all the faders and the buttons from the controller into TD and also I can turn on the dirvese colors of the leds in the main buttons, but now, how do I set the buttons to, for example, if I press one button it turns into one color, and then when I press it again it turns off? or How do I keep them all light up and when I press them again they increase the intensity of the led ligth? or How do I press a button an it turns on while I’m pressing it and when I release it it turns off?

3.-And, once I make them work, Is it possible to recive that MIDI messages into an external program like MADMAPPER for example with all the LED options working on the device?

I have trying a few days to make this work on my own and I feel now a little bit frustrated. Hope you can help me.

Regards

Hello, If you find a way of using same launch control for resolume and td at same time and assign controls to both soft-wares let me know, I think you would need to fiddle with a program special midi type like ‘bome’', I gave up that option because too fiddly.
my first midi controller actually had a fault mini launch pad, everytime I plugged it it messed up the previous things I had connected.
But the new launch pad XL works a treat. just remember to change param in nuls to '‘Selective’

As for the lights, well its up to you to make small system with chops, for instance when you turn something on, you have parallel mini chop network saying when off chop signal to lights is zero and when you press on button then it send a 0.1 signal to get red light on. I hope it make sense, good luck.

Hi greenpattern,

Thanx for the quick response, Of course once I find a way to interconnect 2 softwares I’ll be happy to share!. About your response, How are you using the Nuls for? and for the lights i got the idea of using a small Chop system, but the truth is I have no idea on how to do that. Do you happen to know any wiki or something where I can get some info to do that? I don’t mind the reading, just need to get directed in something that can help me in the right direction.

Thanx in advance!

Hola - Matt here.

The idea of the rename CHOP is that it changes the name of the channel from it’s input name to a new name. Here’s a simple look at how they works:
base_rename_chop.tox (582 Bytes)
The idea here is that you need to know exactly the name of the incoming channel from the midi device so you can send a value back to that channel.

You could set this up with CHOPs or with some executes… probably the best way to handle this to have a set of static output channels in a constant CHOP, then when a specific set of changes happen you use a script to set values for your controller. This would be a little bit of scripting, but would mean you can control exactly when you change the colors / indicators on your controller. I know that’s a little vague, but here’s a very simple example:
base_set_channels.tox (1.47 KB)

There’s probably a way to do that, but I’d suggest using OSC to send values to your other application. It’s been my experience that it’s a little less fussy, and means you can ensure that rather than having co-mingled communication between applications you can make sure that Touch is acting as the broker of messages.

Hi Matthew,

So nice to hear from you!!! Thank you very much for the response, it has been very helpfull!!! I’m working on it rigth now!!! I would let you know how it goes once I finish.