Building a UI

I have a constant TOP which is giving me the colour of a button. I want it to reference it’s colour from a null TOP elsewhere in the network.
How do I extract individual colour channel values from the null top?

So far I have (in the red channel of the button constant) par("../../ui/xsessionbg/colorr")

But this is returning zero.

Not quite sure I understand the quesiton. Are you trying to get the color from the image, or just the parameter value from the Constant TOP?

I wanted to get the parameter value, but I couldn’t get it straight from the constant TOP. I have four constant TOPs with a switch going into the null TOP so ideally I would get the colour value from the null TOP (called xsessionbg).
I’ve now inserted a TOP to CHOP after the null so I can use the CHOP exporter to pass the data accross and it works nicely.

I think in this case you’d be better off just using Constant CHOPs + Switch CHOP with channel names r,g,b etc. instead of using the TOPs at all?

You can use the channels from the Constant CHOP to drive a Constant TOP, if you need to make an image.

The TOP To CHOP is a pretty slow operation, as it requires downloading data from the GPU, which is slow, so if you can avoid using it that’d be best.

Thankyou, very neat idea!

I’ve added a ‘transport control’ to my control panel but I’ve been having issues getting the listen and tap buttons to work. They have no effect on the output BPM.

This is my setup so far

[code]logic listen:
Off to on: controlpanel -s …/Listen_Tap/beat1 listen 1
On to off: controlpanel -s …/Listen_Tap/beat1 listen 0

logic tap:
Off to on: controlpanel -s …/Listen_Tap/beat1 tap 1
On to off: controlpanel -s …/Listen_Tap/beat1 tap 0[/code]

‘beat1’ is an empty null container within Listen_Tap.

I had a look through the /ui container to see if the ‘beat…’ dialogue panel was in there, to see if I could find the correct command to enter into my tap and listen ‘logical’ CHOPS but I couldn’t see it anywhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Tom

You can use the beat command for this.

The Beat Panel dialog is not in /ui yet. It is still and old dialog (circa TouchDesigner 017) and has not been upgraded yet.

Thanks,
I’m not sure how the beat command works though, I couldn’t find it in either ‘commands and expressions’ or in the wiki (it comes up with a blank page entitled ‘beat panel…’).
Could you post a quick example of beat usage?
And do you know offhand the flags I would need for listen and tap?
Cheers

It is in the Commands and Expressions help found under the Help menu. When the dialog opens, click on the Commands tab.

Another way to get help directly from the Textport is to type in help for a list of all commands and then help beat for beat command help.

exhelp is for expressions.

Hi Ben, sorry I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but I can’t see ‘beat’ in commands and expressions, nor is it listed in help or exhelp. I installed the latest build and that still has nothing on the beat command…

D’oh! My apologies, this command is not in the current 1440 official build! However it is in the new 1841 experimental build we posted yesterday. You can try this build if you like, but as an experimental it might have other issues that you’ll come across.

Try it here: Experimental Builds

Cheers Ben, I installed the beta and got it working.

Hi all,
I’m building an interface for a midi controller for an exhibition I’m doing at uni next month. I want to make all of the sliders operate one element of the scene, but when I press a button I want them to operate a different element.
This works so far but I want the system to remember the current settings before leaving each mode so that when I jump back to the previous mode the sliders and knobs have no effect until their positions match the positions saved prior to the mode change.
I’ve set this up how I think it should work but it really doesn’t, I’m getting all sorts of random things happening…
Has anyone previously built a system like this that could post an example?
Cheers,
Tom.

Hi Tom,

Good idea, kind of a backwards approach to motorized sliders, but would be quite useful as the motor-mixers are all too large for my setup.

Hmmm, I’ve messed around quite a bit with midi slider inputs and tried to do something sort of like what you are describing. But, nothing worked reliably, had odd glitches and random things happening. I think due to recursion of some sort, but gave up and solved the problem another (less desirable) way.

Can you post an example ? I’d certainly like to collaborate and get this working.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
I’m glad you’re interested. I was on the brink of leaving it beacause of my time constraints but I think it would be a very useful tool to develop.
I’ve attached a working progress toe which has a couple of different attempts in it.
I’d be interested to hear your take on it!
Tom
xsession_interface.toe (400 KB)

Testing with 2020.24520 the tscript beat -t command doesn’t appear to work. Beat Panel still works manually. Is there a current method for scripting taps? Want to hook up to a keyboard shortcut