glsl blue print octopus

youtube.com/watch?v=7tZlxXkrvyk

So I found this , if you check at 1m in this video you will see this octopus shape with tentacle not touching each others.
I see this shape quite often so must be a cool code behind it, only examples I found on shadertoy are that complex that I cannot really get how its done.

Is there a kind of GLSL code blue print for this sort of geometry? thx

If I was going to tackle this one, I’d first think of it as instanced tube SOPs that taper towards one end. You could set up the tube with the correct taper shape as SOPs, then use a vertex shader for the point deformation. You’d need to displace in the direction of the original normal, and then do normal re-calculation in order to get the shading right. Shouldn’t be toooo hard. What’s your GL experience like? What would you need to get going?

Great thx, I think with the info you just gave me I can try few things, I was already on the instance path.
As for my GLSL skills, yes a bit progress, you know me my primary skill is being a good dog walker and botanist aiming for sufficiency and permaculture off grid.

I’m well curious about subject but progress is slow and not so fun, That is why I like Touch designer so much, the system in place is great to experiment and very logic. Where as GLSL i’m still at a level of following instructions which is a bit more boring and less satisfying since not creating rather copying.
But no rush I’m sure at some point when GLSL level a bit higher both system will be very complementary. I can already convert and use some stuff from shade toys which is great.

Forum is well cool I come back very often to review answers and apply them.

Thx a lot for assistance