SF Workshop Instancing & Rendering Techniques 2 video part 1

Hi everybody.

I am going through tutorials from the BEST OF THE BEST group on the wiki page and I got stuck with a problem which I can not resolve even If tryeid couple of times from scratch just to be sure that I didn’t miss something. In the paert one of the Instancing & Rendering Techniques video I did everything step by step till the moment when I have to add tx, ty and tz to the geo op in order to get the 64 box stack. As soon as I add tx, yt and tz I get the enlarged box whose elements I have to resize via Uniform Scale in order to get the similar stack as the one from the tutorial. I see that M.Ragan doesn’t have to do the sacle part and that his stack instantly after assigment becomes properly separated. What did I do wrong? Is it some new feature in version 099 that I have to be aware of?

And one more thing! When I assign 4x4x4 in the instancing box1 I get the result of 5x5x5, or If assing 3x3x3 and I get 4x4x4. Why is that?

hey groovet - ragan here. Can you post an example file?

Those were all done in 088, and I suspect the difference is probably on the instance2 page, and changing the instance order to be world transform than instance.

Can you post an example of your 4x4x4 issue?

Hi Matthew, I just found where I was wrong since I was so annoyed by the fact that I can not continue with tutorials :slight_smile:

In the begining where you put division 4x4x4 inside of the size boxes in the box1 parametar window, I instead put those numbers inside of the divisions boxes so naturally I got another result.

By the way I downloaded 088 just to be in perfect sync with tutorials.

I apologize for not paying attention enough.
Thank you for your quick response.

Touchdesinger is great and I am sure that I’ll have some questions in the future.

P.S. One of the first things I’ve checked was "world transform than instance’ since I had a small issue with that in prevoius tutorial invovling rotating spheres.

Regards,
Nikola Vukovic

As soon as you finish that tutorial, move over to 099. You’ll be happy you did!