Visual Contact Sheet

I’m very new at TD and hoping for some help creating a visual contact sheet of a specificed folder with Movies/Stills/Image Seq’s in them. I’m a 3D animator and need an easy way to review lots of render tests from multiple people.

Dragging and dropping files into TD from Explorer almost does the trick, but I’d love a method which directly references a folder’s content and creates animated thumbnails with filenames (ideally can be repositioned).

I found this article by matt ragan which is incredibly helpful, but still too newb to translate properly to what I’m trying to achieve.

[url]https://matthewragan.com/2013/11/10/touchdesigner-import-from-a-system-folder/[/url]

I started playing around with Folder DATs but its not worth sharing as I’m stuck early in the process. Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

hey Jingles

Ragan here - what have you gotten working so far? Sometimes it’s easier to help give someone a push based on where they are, rather than just trying to explain the whole process.

Hi Matt, thanks so much for the reply and the initial post :slight_smile:

Originally my plan was to use the Folders TOP and get a total items count, then link those to a large batch of MovieFileIn TOPs. These would be set to output at small resolution (256x256) and place on screen (but didn’t make it this far). I realized this was flawed as I would only see a small thumbnail and have no option to zoom in (without more playing around in TD than at the moment have the time for).

In the end I found that simply dragging and dropping the files into TD worked well enough as I could see each item looping and display it as needed.

This definitely wasn’t pretty or where I wanted to go with it so I’ll revisit a proper way to do this after this project finishes up. For now though, it’ll tie me over.

Thanks again for the reply.

You might also look into drop scripts:

matthewragan.com/2015/05/30/tou … p-scripts/

Lovely, thanks!