Blank TOP Viewer Pane

Hey everyone,

Second question here on the board. Another beginner doozy…

When trying to use the TOP (or CHOP) Viewer in a TouchDesigner Pane, the window is blank. Am I misunderstanding the purpose of these viewers. No matter what I do or select, or where I’m at in the network, nothing will display in this window.

TD Wiki Reference = derivative.ca/wiki099/index.php?title=Pane

What is this supposed to be for? And/or what am I doing wrong?

Many thanks

-Casey

PS. I’ve gone through the “first things to know” vid tutorials, and quite a bit of more. If there’s any other workflow/workspace tutorials or documentation that people found helpful to get up and running, that’d also be great.

Hey everyone,

For those that might have a similar question but werent finding answers, I’ve discovered the obvious…!

Turns out, you need to click the ‘blue dot’ Display flag on the TOP (or CHOP) you want to view in the Viewer Pane. And then of course, you must also make sure the address bar at the top of the window is in the correct director of the network where that node lives.

I was hoping that you could view nodes in this pane view without also viewing it in the background of the network editor view (as shown on left), as I find this way of working extremely distracting and cluttery. The idea of a docked tab showing the clean viewer is great, but as far as I can tell if you want one, you must have the other.

If there’s some check or flag I’m missing to get a TOP to show in a viewer pane, but not the BG, I’d be delighted.

Hope folks find this useful.

Thanks!

-Casey

1 Like

Hey Casey,

I did a pretty comprehensive beginners series at Yale last year that you might find useful:

matthewragan.com/touchdesigner- … yale-2017/

Also, you might take advantage of the fact that the top viewer view is path dependent. This means that you can get what you’re after just by sticking your displayed TOP into another component. Take a look here to see what I mean:
top_viewer.toe (5.46 KB)

1 Like

Yowza!

I’m currently ‘enrolled’ in AME 394 & THP 494/598. Useful indeed; the classes have been inspirational and invaluable!!! Many many thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge. Its been so rad.

Also, mind blown with the attached .toe

Such a simple thing, but probably would have never stumbled across that as a solution. Now to integrate it into the workflow. Very cool.

Cheers!

-Casey