Please recommend me a good notebook

Hi

Folks, please, recommend me a good notebook under 2000$ for TouchDesigner. It can be Macbook Pro also but i really do not know how Macbook’s graphic cards doing with TD.

I read that Dell or Lenovo may be good but which one?

Best,
Andrey.

Don’t get a MacBook, you won’t get a ton of value of it for heavy graphics work.

I have an Origin 15 slim, which is I think 2250. No complaints. I don’t have any under 2000 so I can’t speak from personal experience at that price point

Asus has some good gamer machines that might be cheap and powerful. Most of the Dells and Lenovos I know don’t have great GPU’s, so you’ll want to aim for gamer systems.

Go for nVidia GPUs, some parts of TD is only compatible with nVidia GPU’s. I can be wrong though as I’m new to TD, it’s what I’ve read as notes for some components.

If you want a laptop that has the build quality of a Macbook but with much better graphics power, check out the Razer blade. 14" model with Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB starts at $1799 usd
razerzone.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade

Though I think the best value for graphics power + actual portability in a laptop currently would be something with a Nvidia GTX 1070 or GTX 1080 Max-Q editions.

Origin’s EVO-15-S with a GTX 1070 8GB starts at $1745 usd
originpc.com/gaming/laptops/evo15-s/

Origin also has a free 250GB NVMe SSD promo going on for the next few days it looks like.

You can find comparable models from Asus, Acer, and others as well if you prefer their chassis designs

Hi also me having same headache, my Mac Air is choking
I’m following the advice that some guys from Touchdesigner Italian community group give me :
The main interesting advice is to search for a laptop with GTX 1050 to 1070 because work better than Nvidia Quadro.
I found some laptop so interesting in Asus series with this model ROG GL502VS-GZ147T (with GTX 1060) or ROG GL502VM-FY172T (GTX 1060) or Dell workstation also if i don’t like to much how they menage the model and disk capacity.
This laptop is between 1.800€ and 2.000€ approx.

Hope can be useful

Get a 1070 if you can, it’s right now at a very good sweet spot of power/cost effectiveness/portability since its in a lot of slim notebooks. The 1050/60 are quite weak in comparison, and the 1080 needs a thicker chassis.

i recently got an msi thin profile 17" for about $2200 for my main video and animation workstation and it rocks touchdesigner.

was also considering origin but that was a bit more expensive, and going to take several days, whereas i got mine on amazon in 2 days.

razor would have also worked, but they’re also kind of a “luxury” brand almost, at a higher price point.

msi felt like the best bang for the buck

I have Acer Aspire 5332.
Showing its age regarding OpenGL, some keyboard layout oddities, but otherwise fine. No out-of-tree drivers are needed (that was one of the considerations when I bought it). Running Debian.