Python Expression or other node to control Sphere?

Hi all–

Just started experimenting with Touch and still learning a lot! Trying to make a “breathing” or gently pulsating sphere and would appreciate some help.

I’d like the Uniform Scale to fluctuate slowly between a small range and was wondering if there was a Python expression, which I thought it might be op('moviein1').par.cue.pulse() (but maybe ‘sphere1’ rather than ‘movie1’?) or a pulse node that reads to it? If so, would appreciate some pointers on how to do it. If I’m completely off base, let me know too!

thanks!

I’d advise to start with this tutorial about Referencing, if you understand this concept a world will open.

matthewragan.com/2014/06/01/und … hdesigner/

a trigger chop would give you an attack-decay-sustain-release type of value when pulsed. An lfo CHOP can give you sine waves, or ramp… a noise CHOP can give you a random value, the animationCOMP can give you any animation curve you would like…etc.
Any of these value can be referenced (python) or exported (green link) to the scale of a transformSOP or a geoCOMP

you could also animate the amplitude of a noiseSOP wired after a sphereSOP (and plug an attribute create sop for normals recalculations)

Learn how to reference values, check out all the snippets, and look for tutorials :slight_smile:

Thank you you, both of you were extremely helpful! Ended up using an LFO Chop for a sine wave.

There’s a more complete referencing tut here that might also be useful for the future:

matthewragan.com/2015/10/19/pyt … hdesigner/

Thank you, definitely learned more!