Importing an OBJ with texture

Hello, I am trying to learn how to import a 3D model with its correct texture.

I started with this simple butterfly model:
free3d.com/3d-model/butterfly-29086.html

I imported it into the network with “Import…”. Then I navigated inside and I linked a “Movie file in” to the body and wings materials. Anyway, the resulting texture mapping is totally wrong.
Then I tried to remove the inner materials, using only a single material at the top level (with the same TIFF), linked to the whole geometry, with the same bad result.

So, basically, what are the correct steps to import a model with all textures?
Should I use additional mapping manipulation components?

Should I use a more compatible 3D file format?

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:
m.

Hey,

i downloaded it and dragged the 3DS file straight into TouchDesigner and got the butterfly properly shaded. All others gave me strange uv mappings.

Best
Markus

Yeah, the 3DS works…
May I assume that it’s better to import a 3DS, when available?

Hey,

unfortunately it’s different from model to model. Often, when different formats are available, you would have to try which one works best. Currently they all go through the same process but some are less well defined than others. I tried for example importing the obj model to photoshop and got the same strange texturing as when importing it to TouchDesigner.
FBX is generally though a preferred format.
It might be of interest for you that in the experimental 30.000 releases we do also support Alembic Files: derivative.ca/wiki099/index … lembic_SOP

Best
Markus