Particle Instance Size Question

I would like to make my shapes instanced from a particle system size scale down over time. I’m trying to use a pattern with a ramp, using the length from my sopto, coming from my particle system, but it just randomly scales the instanced shape, they don’t fade over time, any tips with this?

Also another question i have is, when instancing, some particles stick, or are still and just remain on my screen, is this a problem other people have and can i fix it?

You can use particle life attributes to drive your instance scale over lifetime. I cover driving instances with particle data around 32 minutes into my particle tutorial
I show a technique with Lookup CHOP to drive instance scale over lifetime along an arbitrary “life curve.” I also mention the “remove unused” parameter in that section of the video, to help prevent particles sticking on screen.

More at cutmod.com/tutorials

Hey!! Thank you for your work dude, I honestly just finished your Kinect CHOP tut and it was one of the more helpful/fun tuts that I’ve followed using TouchDesigner, the particle one was on my list of stuff to do but i keep forgetting about it I guess. I have some questions about the Kinect one though, some of the stuff you show just a peek of… particularly this thing at 2:44

youtu.be/r-EOtQhdJxg?t=2m44s

What is that?!?

Also the grid thing right before it is really cool too, even though i have kind of a rough idea on how I would go about doing something like that… Still would be rad if I could get some insight on those 2 things.

Thank you for your response, I do appreciate it!

That looks like a limit SOP to me:

derivative.ca/wiki099/index. … =Limit_SOP

It’s a fun one.
base_limit_sop.tox (1.21 KB)

1 Like

Wow. Thank you for that, haven’t played with that node at all but it looks like its gonna be a new favorite!