note visualizer

Hey all, could anyone give me some hints or point me in the direction of a good tutorial to make a MIDI note visualizer? I want a simple geo to appear and then fade out each time a MIDI note is triggered; I’m just at a bit of a loss where to get started.

Thanks!

Here is a quick example of one way to do this.

MidiNoteVisualizer.toe (4.87 KB)

I’m using a KeyRig49 USB keyboard connected to my computer. You need to setup your midi device through the DIALOGS → MIDI MAPPER.

The decay and release rates of the TriggerCHOP control the fade-out of the circle.

I have used a mathCHOP to take ANY incoming midi signal and output it to a single channel called opacity to control a single circle. Using the individual channels from the triggerCHOP you could do this with multiple circles (one for each midi channel) to create a multi-note display.

Hey There,

You can take a look at a keyboard note visualizer I made that is included in Ivan’s TDAbleton package. You have to do a bit of channel parsing before hand, but there should be a start to that in his project.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10573

Cheers
P

I’ve been meaning to check out TDAbleton, but I don’t have Max yet, and loopMIDI works fine for my needs currently.

I ended up instancing a rectangle over a grid, and controlling the alpha of each instance with a corresponding MIDI note; there’s a math and a trigger in there as well to control the fade in and out. It’s not exactly what I wanted, but pretty nice in its own right, and I’ve been building a few different tools based on this concept. Currently working on harmonic color schemes using additive color mixing.

I honestly never use the mapper, I find it to be incredibly tedious, and I really don’t need it for what I’m doing.