Black Magic Capture Card Not Recognized

Hi, I’m having issues setting up my blackmagic DeckLink Pro 4k capture card. The wiki says decklink devices are supported so I’m assuming my specific card should work.

Now I can get an image in from BlackMagic’s Media Express software so I don’t believe its an issue with drivers. The card itself seems to sort of be recognized by touchdesigner and the video device in node as it shows up under both the blackmagic and WDM library as a device. I have also used the usb capture cards that the wiki recommended and they worked flawlessly.

I also noticed that the input pixel format in the blackmagic library does not give me 10 bit YUV as an option, only 8 bit yuv and 10 bit and 8 bit rgb.

However I get no image out on the video device in node and it gives me the error that it is unable to connect to the device. I linked the error as an image.

Thank you

Hey,
What happens when you select one of the RGB formats? The YUV format is not supported in our blackmagic implementation, however if the video signal is YUV that is fine, it’ll be upgraded to RGB by the blackmagic drivers for us.

You know now that I’m looking at the Black Magic utilities, it seems like the card isn’t being recognized every time and media express isn’t even displaying an image. I’ll work on fixing this myself since I know at this moment it doesn’t seem to be an issue with touch designer but I want to thank you for your help and quick replies. I would greatly appreciate it if you could answer a
couple quick questions since I know you have experience with Black Magic And TD.

Are there any compatibility issues with CPU’s, GPU’s, and motherboards that you’ve encountered with Touch Designer and black magic decklinks?

Because, at the end of the day, this isn’t going to be the final system I will be using, and I am looking for the best parts to use for the project. Have you had any issues with nvidia’s 10 series or AMD’s new Ryzen? I just want to have the most pain free experience installing the card and getting it to work.

And this may very well be some weird compatibility issue with some other capture software or driver that I’m sure can be installed on the current machine I’m using but I can’t exactly reinstall Windows right now.

Thanks again I really appreciate it.

There are no compatibility issues that we know of. The new AMD CPUs should work fine, nobody has mentioned any issues with that. AMD and Nvidia GPUs should work fine with blackmagic cards as well.

Perfect! thanks for the quick replies.

Sorry to keep bothering you but I managed to get touchdesigner to output the camera kinda. Except it alternates from the image being rendered entirely green or entirely red. Surely this must be just some formatting error between what the camera and what touchdesigner thinks the camera is outputting. I know the camera is outputting 10bit YUV, but the only options in the input pixel format are 8 bit yuv, 10 bit rgb and 8 bit rgb. I also don’t have very much settings available as they are all greyed out.