FIXED: DMX Mac problems

Hi guys , im new in touch Designer , i have some problems with DMX out Chop, i can see the device in the parameters panel but i always have a warning alert with the legend : "Could not connect with the device. Its because the operating system ? i’m in OSX

I haven’t worked with DMX, but if you’re using USB 3.0 you could try connecting it to a USB 2.0 port. Once I had connection problems with a Kinect and that was the solution.

I’m assuming you followed the directions for DMX out CHOP in the wiki?

derivative.ca/wiki099/index.php?title=MacOS

Thanks guys , but its not working , in terminal i have this error:

( kernel) Kext com.apple.driver.AppleUSBFTDI not found for unload request.
Failed to unload com.apple.driver.AppleUSBFTDI - (libkern/kext) not found.

i tried to follow this tutorial:

learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ho … c#yosemite

and also tryied the chapter 7 of this pdf:

ftdichip.com/Support/Documen … AC_OSX.pdf

The DMXUSB pro works perfectly with other softwares.

by the way im running in OSX el capitan , maybe i need to update?

When we first resolved this problem it was on El Capitan, so not sure that is the issue. I think the error indicates that it was already unloaded. I.e. if you load it first with

sudo kextload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBFTDI

and then unload it

sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBFTDI

you probably won’t have that error.

What other softwares are you using it with? Maybe try

kextstat | grep -i ftdi

to see if there’s anything else that might need to be unloaded?

I also had a case where we had to restart the mac after unloading before it would work.

thank you so much, now it works perfectly in touchDesigner but the DMXUSBPRO can’t be recognized by openframeworks, i mean, if touchDesigner detects it, it’s not detected in openframeworks an viceversa, obvisuly because the script.

I’m glad it is resolved, but unfortunate that you can’t use it with both softwares at the same time.

I have to do the unload command every time I reboot is it normal? If yes anyone as a solution for automating that process on reboot ?

No you only have to ever to that once on your system unless you of course ‘re-load’ it.

Using the latest build .27550 on a Mac OS 10.11.5 I am seeing the Enttec Pro device but is not connecting. I’ve run the terminal code and rebooted but nothing, any help would be great.

Thank you!

Hello,
I had the same connection problem, and a friend help me on this question.
I use others softwares like Millumin,… and there are two FTDI drivers installed.
com.apple.driver.AppleUSBFTDI
com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver
If I want to use enttec device with TD
I unload both in terminal

sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBFTDI && sudo kextunload -b com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver

If I want to use others softwares, I load

sudo kextload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBFTDI && sudo kextload -b com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver

1 Like

Helpfull! Thank you :slight_smile:

to automate the task, it worked for me to activate and deactivate FTDI using Millumin. In DMX preferences you have a special option DMX mode

I am here stuck with this issue for weeks and none of these solutions work. Even for windows and Mac. Is it because of the new versions of the operating system now?

I would recommend ditching the USB DMX and going with DMX (ArtNet / sACN) over UDP ethernet. Here’s a cheap Ethernet > DMX controller from amazon: Amazon.com

Hey @ZJ24,

just tried here at the office with the Enttec DMX USB PRO and it works as expected after installing the driver. Running Windows 11 as well.

What device are you trying to get to work?
Otherwise I second what @Peeet mentioned as these do not require and drivers.

Cheers
Markus

1 Like

Could you write a detailed breakdown of how did you proceed with the procedure course I did everything that was ever mention and I still have no idea what is wrong.

If I tried it on both Windows and Mac and it didn’t work I had assumed something else was wrong is the software

Hey @ZJ24,

I’m on a Windows11 system.

• download the windows drivers from the Enttec Website: The industry standard for DMX USB converter | ENTTEC : ENTTEC
  • install the drivers
  • plug in device
  • in TouchDesigner create a LFO CHOP, set the “Type” parameter to Gaussian and increase the amplitude to 255
  • append a DMX Out CHOP, make sure the “Interface” parameter is set to Enttec USB Pro and select your Device from the “Device” parameter
    To test I connected a second DMX device (in my case a ENTTEC ODE) and received the data with a DMX In CHOP from there.

Additionally I also tested this with Enttec’s EMU software which you can download from here: Download EMU | ENTTEC : ENTTEC
This software also let’s you update the Firmware of your device - possibly that could help solve this.

Cheers
Markus