stuttering in video

I am having some problems in video-performace I guess. I am just a little confused because the framerate stays quite stabe, at least its over 25fps, which should fine to paly my 25fps-video-files. But I still I have some kind of stuttering in the video every couple of seconds. its not only a slight constant stutter, every couple of seconds it looks like there there is a real jump up to 20 frames. So is just my laptop to weak ar am I missing something?

My Timelin is set to 25fps, but even when seeting it to 60, its still the same.

In Total I am having 2 HD videos runnning at the same time, wich are beeing switched via a switch-TOP. Then I use two seperate audio-CHOPS for the accoring sound of the videos. In the background I am having a videoin-TOP that is see my webcam, which is beeing analysed to detecs whether I the is a moovement happening.

When I take out the webcam-analyse and the second video everything runs smoothly.
But if I turn down the resolutiion of the videos the stuttering stays. By the way I am using HAP-codec. My system is Windows 10 and I am using TD version 9.

I checked already the AEREO topic, but since I am acreening on my second monitr in Fullscreen this should not be the problem.

Hey,

this could very well be related to your laptop, especially as you are pointing out that a single video plays back without problems but with 2 videos you start seeing stutters.
While HAP and HAPQ performs the decompressing on the video hardware, allowing for higher resolution playback of multiple streams without heavy taxing on the CPU, the data transfer-rate from your HD is substantially higher compared to other codecs. (derivative.ca/wiki088/index.php?title=Hap)

What are your system specs?

For the analysis of the videofeed, are you using a Topto CHOP and is the Download Type Parameter set to “Next Frame (Fast)”?

Best
Markus

Hi Markus,
thanks for your reply.
My system is
Acer V3-571G ● 15,6" Core i7-3630QM ● 8GB Ram ● NVidia 640M, SSD-Drive

I now made a fresh project an out is 3 HD-files + my Webcam with analysation, and the big stutters dont appear. So actually it must be something else in my node network.

I took my BASE with the webcam-analysis-network into this test-projetct and now I have that jumping again. I muted it and its gone. Just try to find out what exactly causes the problem. The download type op the CHOPTO was on “immediate”, but now I alos tried “next frame”, which did not really improve.

The strange thing is that, when I leave the BASE cooking and delete all the Nodes inside the jumoing ist still there…

So finally I took all my nodes from the BASE and put it into a container, and thats it! Is there an explanantion for that? Is a Base not ment to be there to out in your nodes?
Analyse1.tox (3.82 KB)

oh, sorry, I guess the problem was that I took that BASE from TD 8 to 9. And now even everything works in a Base… But still I learned a lot about perfomace issues in Touch-Designer by the way :wink:

Hey,

Great you got it figured out!
the only thing I could see in the file you posted was that TopTo1 in /Analyse1 had it’s Download Type parameter set to “Immediate” - switching it to “Next Frame” usually drops the cooktime quite significantly.

Best
Markus